Candy Coated Cake

Decorating By learningtodecorate Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 7:54pm by cakesdivine

learningtodecorate Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 6

Not really for sure on how to do a candy coated cake, After baking the cake and letting it cool, then do you just pour the melted candy over the cake, and after it hardens ice the cake, and decorate??? Please help

5 replies
TheDomesticDiva Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 6

I don't follow what you're asking. What kind of candy do you mean???

learningtodecorate Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 6

I'm talking about baking a cake letting it dry then putting melted chocolate on covering the whole cake then let dry, frost and decorate, or Do I frost at all? or do I let the melted chocolate be the frosting!

TheDomesticDiva Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 6

Sounds like whipped chocolate ganache. You can use it in place of buttercream. One or the other, but you dont have to do both. icon_smile.gif If you want it to be the consistency of buttercream, you have to let the ganache sit overnight at room temp to thicken, then you can whip it and frost your cake with it. Unless you want it to be melted, then you can just pour it right over the cake while it's still warm and it will coat it that way, but it will be a runny consistency.

bakermom3107 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 6

I've coveren alot of cakes in ganache- I think that might be what you are looking for. You have to crumb coat the cake first, but make sure it is smooth. Then make the ganache (white choc, milk choc, dark choc, etc) and pour over. It sets up to a soft coating and you can decorate on it, but don't re-ice it. HTH!!

cakesdivine Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 6

Sounds like you are talking about a poured fondant (Ganache) Cover the cooled cake in a smooth layer of buttercream then refrigerate for about 10 minutes. make sure the buttercream is totally smooth then pour the melted ganache over the cake. Make sure the cake is sitting on a cooling rack that is over another pan to catch the run off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%