How Do I Make Tinkerbell's Wings?

Decorating By EatSomeCake Updated 14 Mar 2010 , 12:24am by EatSomeCake

EatSomeCake Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 10

I'm making a 3-D tinkerbell out of marzipan and using modeling paste for her dress, hair, etc. I'd like to make her wings clear. How should I go about this? I've heard of gelatin wings for butterflies but has anyone ever done it? I've also thought about making a batch of sugar but not sure how I would maintain Tinkerbell's wing shape.

Thanks for any advice that anyone has!

9 replies
prterrell Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 10

I would make them out of rice paper (so they'd be translucent, not clear) and pipe royal on the very edges to have cake sparkles or sanding sugar stick to.

pieceacake830 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 10

I would make the wings out of gelatin. you can even tint the gelatin to a pale shade of whatever color you want. The I would use a tiny bit of piping gel on the outer edges, and sprinkle with ediblte giltter, cake sparkels, or disco dust.

HTH

superwawa Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 10

What about those pre-made gelatin sheets? I see them all the time at the cake supply & specialty grocery stores, but I actually don't know what people do with them or what they are like to work with. Maybe someone else will know icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 10

I would defiantley do the gelatin technique. You can make them clear and add any glitter color you want to it to make them perfect!!! I am putting the link to a flower I made - it would be like the petals on this flower (only you would not have the wire in the middle - you would not need it) You can see how pretty it would be!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1363735

milkmaid42 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 10

I would surely recommend gelatin for the effect you're looking for. I used it for the dragonfly wings in my photos. PM me if you'd like the instructions.

Jemoiselle Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 10

Another vote for Gelatin! It is inexpensive, beautiful and easy! Have fun!

sheena Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:43pm
post #9 of 10

The gelatin technique would definitely be my choice... I have made transparent wings for tink and they look great... i can't find my pics now... but if i do, i'll post them here.

EatSomeCake Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 12:24am
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone for all the helpful tips and links! Now I'll have to research the gelatin wings, it sounds like that will be the best way to go! Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%