Home Bakers - How Do You Get Your Name Out There?

Business By Spectra Updated 14 Mar 2010 , 4:05am by nicoles0419

Spectra Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 12

Hey everyone, I'm wondering how those of you who sell out of your home get known around the city?

This summer and fall I will be getting liscensed with the Dept of Health and taking the Food Safety Handling course. Once I have these I can sell my baked goods from my home. I was planning on selling at my local Farmer's Market. But when I called them they said they are currently full, and the waiting list is 'substantial'... They advised me to check back in 6 months, just to get on the waiting list, which who knows how long that is...

So I know not everyone goes to the Farmer's Market and there are other ways to get known and get out there. So I'm curious as to how people did it themselves, and tips you can give me, and how long it took for you to 'get out there'.

Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif

11 replies
minicuppie Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 12

One of the best things I ever did was to throw a bday party for my first grader. I pulled out all the stops and all the little girls wanted a cake just like Sarah's. Each cake got larger and more intricate (and expensive).

Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 12

Take samples along with business cards/brochures to places like Banks,Dr.Offices,Real Estate offices,You could print up flyers but sometimes that is wastes money...leave cards all over the city at free bulletin boards...Make an online website..There are plenty of free site you can access like webs.com or godaddy.com.Once you start sending out cakes to lots of parties especially kids parties,the calls and inquiries start to come in...My business really incrteased when I was sending out cakes for kids and the Mom's started to call as like the previous poster siad...all the kids want a cake like that too!!And what Mom can't say no to her child!!

cakemom42 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 12

I give samples to churches & halls such as Moose/VFW/American Legion...
Being military I doante to their functions, churches on post & MWR, soliders functions (BOSS).
In addition I give samples to wedding planners, bridal shops, & florist in my area (party supply shops too). As a Pastry Chef I also look to the local Chefs at little resturants that might be looking for someone to recommend to their customers.. as well as I always have samples for the Fire & Police Depts.
Also don't forget to do bridal shows and to have open houses in your place of baking a couple times of year...
Most IMPORTANTLY donate to your local schools.... these are great places to get the word out that you are in business and do a great job.
I have moved my business 3 times (those Army PCS's) and these work each time!

Spectra Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you all so much! Truly! Extremely helpful tips! I'm making a list! I want to get into selling cookies so thank you! icon_smile.gif

minicuppie Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 12:32pm
post #6 of 12

Those cakers that take samples and give to auctions...what kind of ROI are you getting from that?

Eisskween Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 12
Originally Posted by minicuppie

Those cakers that take samples and give to auctions...what kind of ROI are you getting from that?

I did a fairy on a stump cake for an auction (in my photos) and the cake brought the highest amount of money, but I did not even get one order from that little venture. So I won't participate in auctions anymore.

justducky Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:02pm
post #8 of 12

Donate because you want to. Never expecting any ROI.

LisaR64 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 1:55am
post #9 of 12

I've received several orders from co-workers after donating a cake for a special event at work. Word of mouth has been my best advertisement so far.

sugarandslice Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 2:16am
post #10 of 12

I've made contact with my local party supplies shop, bridal accessories shop, indoor play centre and kids party entertainer. We've swapped business cards and they have referred a lot of business my way. I take them a small box of cupcakes every couple of months, refresh my cards and have a chat. And every time I send out an invoice etc I include their cards for my customers.
I've also found a lot of free listing/directory websites (esp parenting advice and wedding info) and put myself up on those as much as possible. The more of those you're on the higher your Google results will be.
A website is ESSENTIAL!!!

dalis4joe Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:44am
post #11 of 12

Great info..... thanks to everyone....

nicoles0419 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:05am
post #12 of 12

facebook and websites, I've got so many orders from friends of friends becuase someone on fb seen my photos now Ihave total strangers asking me for cakes. Also flyers post everywhere

Quote by @%username% on %date%