Fondant Drying Out & Tearing!! Help Asap

Decorating By awela Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 1:45pm by KHalstead

awela Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 7

I am having problems with my fondant like never before. After working w/fondant for quite a few years; I don't know what is happening MY FONDANT KEEPS TEARING AND GETTING DRYING OUT!

I decorating a 10" cake 5" high the fondant keeps tearing from the top, on the sides w/little cracks where the buttercream comes out from. I used Wilton fondant which I find hard to work with 5# were ruined! Got into my car about 3:30 yesterday to travel 2 hrs back & forth to get Satin Ice I was so happy I found it as it's the one I always use. Took the cake out of the fridge while I finished w/the fondant. I used some corn starch and crisco, the first batch torn out the top of the cake! Used new batch and again it torn again this time all over it has little cracks! This is not the first time I use fondant as it can be seen in my cakes! About 10:30 last night I have used all my fondant (which I took cake crumbs and icing out and put it in a plastic) can I use it again or I will need new one? just paid $25 yesterday for it. I need some advise PRONTO!!! PLEASE!!! I will be checking my messages constantly for a response.

6 replies
Christy0722 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 7

How thick is the fondant? I have read that if it is too thick that gravity will pull it down and tear/crack it. Also, I use crisco only when I roll mine out. I used to use PS and i always ended up with it being too dry and cracking. Anyone have any other suggestions??

sheilabelle Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 7

Maybe try rolling it on vinyl with shortening on it and flipping it onto your cake. Might help with the drying out.

eatdessert1st Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 7

It sounds like the sides are pulling down. Make sure when you cover the cake to smooth the sides first then the top... otherwise the weight pulls and tears the sides. Can you rub a bit of crisco onto the tears and try to smooth them together? That is so frustrating icon_cry.gif

melanie mc.

jamiekwebb Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 1:18pm
post #5 of 7

Yeah I would say to much Ps and you need to make sure it has something to stick it to the cake.... like the icing maybe shouldn't be all the way crusted. Or put a little piping gel on the top of the sides to keep it in place so you don't tear it when smoothing. Also knead in some crisco before rolling out. Maybe roll it on a silpat or something similar....just some thoughts.

ttehan4 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 7

You can always reuse the fondant you took of the cake again. Just scrap off any icing and crumbs rekneed and have another go at it. Work some crisco into your fondant and kneed it until it is good and soft.

I feel for you. I hate when that happens. If you get the fondant on and you have a couple small cracks, melt some of your fondant and smooth it over the hole with a hot wet spatula. I had to do this once to the red and white hex cake in my photos. The red was crumbling to pieces and I patch the heck out of it. You wouldnt have known unless I told you.

KHalstead Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 7

when working with a taller cake (my cakes tend to run about 5" tall too) the weight of the fondant will tear itself........what I do is put stuff around the cake, whatever you have, small containers, glasses lined around it........something that can hold the weight of the fondant while you smooth the top and then can be removed little by little as you work your way down and around the cake.

Hopefully this makes sense....I line plastic cups all the way around the cake and let the fondant drape on them to hold the weight of it as I work and then one by one I remove them as I smooth it down the sides of the cake.

Maybe you're rolling your fondant too thin?? You should have some stretch to it.

As for the fondant, as long as it doesn't have crumbs in it there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to reuse it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%