Dark/bright Colored Fondant

Decorating By Cre8iveSue Updated 13 Mar 2010 , 2:42pm by Cre8iveSue

Cre8iveSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cre8iveSue Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 12:25pm
post #1 of 3

There are two evil colors for cake decorators...red and black!! I cringe when people ask me to use those colors! I am noticing that that whenever I try to get bright or dark colored fondant, it starts tasting not so good icon_razz.gif I have gotten to the point I order already colored fondant online for red and black. But I see tons of other colors I would love to use on other cakes so I know it's possible. Not that fondant is a favorite flavor for most, but is there a way to get all of those bold and bright colors without the yucky flavor in the end?

2 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 3

Well, if I have to use red or black as a main color then I order Satin Ice but if I'm using it as an accent or to make figures then I make it myself...black is much easier to do if you start out with chocolate MMF. As for the more brilliant colors like dark blues or purples, you might consider air brushing the color onto a lighter version of the colored fondant. But, yes, they say that you can't taste the color but you most certainly can. MMF is the favorite fondant around here but getting true red fondant is nearly impossible without using a huge amount of color.

Cre8iveSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cre8iveSue Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your reply. I just wish I had a supplier locally so I didn't have to order it online. (I do a lot of last minute cakes) And you definitely can taste it! I will have to try the airbrushing. The only type of that I do right now is the cans of spray you buy in the store. Actual airbrushing looks easy enough though icon_smile.gif Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%