Pricing A Cake

Decorating By KristenL Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 4:13pm by catlharper

KristenL Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 12:11pm
post #1 of 4

I've been asked to make a small (7 inch) one layer cake for a 40th anniversary. A white cake with white frosting, a yellow ribbon and yellow and white daisies (made from fondant). It's easy enough for me to price out my supplies but how do I price my time?
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
~Kristen
icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 4

It's hard to price out time as each individual decorater will come up with a different number..Price your cakes out per serving amount and factor everything into that..I charge $3.00 per serving for tiered cakes..$5.00 per serving for fondant and 3D cakes.So if you are making a single layer cake..find a serving chart which will tell you how much that size will serve which is my guess about 8..then 8x3=$24.00..HTH icon_smile.gif

prterrell Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 4

How much do you want to make per hour?

catlharper Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 4

I would, in my area, charge $3 a slice PLUS $1 per flower. So if the cake feeds 20 and I used 20 flowers then it would be $60 plus the $20 for the flowers. Figure out a base price (often influenced by what bakers in the area are charging) and then add in your extras. Basic cake for me is buttercream with trim and one decoration starts at $3 a slice and $4 for fondant. Once I start adding details or decoration the price goes up. Don't forget to do that or you'll be working extra hours for free.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%