Need Info On Commercial Kitchen Rental

Business By buttercup1016 Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 4:47am by ladyonzlake

buttercup1016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercup1016 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:30am
post #1 of 6

Hi guys,

I'm totally new at this and I was hoping to get some info and advice on renting space in a commercial kitchen. I am a hobbyist but I've been getting so many requests for cakes, including business owners who have asked me to post flyers, leave business cards, etc. I can't do any of that unless I'm on the up & up and there's just no way for me to build a second kitchen in my home (which is required for permits in my state)

I wanted to approach several local restaurants or caterers and I just want to have a little information before I go in. For those of you who do this already:

where do you rent?
are you covered under the kitchen's license/permit?
do you have a written agreement with the kitchen owner?
what does it entail?
I know it varies regionally, but what do you pay? Is it hourly, weekly, monthly?

If you have any advice or info I would totally appreciate the help! I need some direction before taking that first step! RIght now I don't know if I can even afford to get started. Thanks!!!

5 replies
lacie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacie Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 12:01pm
post #2 of 6

hello fellow floridian icon_smile.gif
i just went through all this!
it took me 1 1/2 years to find a place that would let me rent their place. i rent out space from a caterer, i pay $50 per personal use. they also use me for all thier deserts and i charge them a discounted rate.
you have to get your own licensing and permits for your own business, if you were an employee you would be covered under theirs.
i do not have a written agreement per say, i have emails back and forth with them. they are a nice couple and everything is working out well for me and them. I would suggest a written contract though. I have free use of thier kitchen, equipment and tasting/meeting room (they do not charge me to meet with clients only for kitchen use)

here is what you will need to be a legal baking business in Florida:
1. food managers class and cert $150
2. find a kitchen, i use catering companies kitchen $50 per use
3. get a tax id number and file your business corp papers, we used a cpa to do this $250
4. get the kitchen inspected by the department of agriculture for you food license, inspection is free but the license cost me $530 per year
5. get an occupational license from your city zoning board/department, you will need to have the place you are using fire inspected and sometimes building inspected. they then give you the paper work to get your local city tax info $50
6. liability insurance $550

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 6

There are several very long threads dealing with this issue. Lots of posts addressing every conceivable question with some good advice. Maybe try the search option. Last one was within the last 4 weeks.

buttercup1016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercup1016 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 6

Lacie,

Thanks SOOO much for the info. You were super helpful! I can't believe you were able to negotiate a rate of $50 per use. That's awesome. Everything I've found has been over $20 per hour! Well, looks like a long road ahead, but I know how to start. Thank YOU !

jalie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jalie Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:02am
post #5 of 6

I'm in the same boat and have determined what I'm willing to spend on a kitchen rental but haven't been able to find one that fits the budget yet. I'd love to hear what you end up doing.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 4:47am
post #6 of 6

I rent 40 hours from a shared commercial kitchen. I pay $300.00 a month which includes lower and upper cabinet for storage. I pay an extra for the consultation room for tastings ($25.00 for 1 day).
My health permit is separate and Washington State charges me $500.00 annually.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%