My Problem Is 2-Fold!!

Decorating By pastryqueen9 Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 4:16pm by pastryqueen9

pastryqueen9 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:23am
post #1 of 5

Ok...I made 2 cakes for 2 of my husbands coworkers (3 layers 9" round) red velvet and the other yellow...they came out perfect but when I torted, filled, and frosted they, they were leaning on one side. I tried to get them side to straighten up but nothing I did worked. How do I get my tiers to stand up straight and not lean? And how to I use a level to make sure they're straight?

Second issue...are there any cakes that are better for stacked cake construction than others? I made a 3 tiered 1-2-3-4 cake and it seemed that the top layers were starting to sink into the ones below them. What are the best recipes for stacked construction and are there any that I just absolutely shouldn not use?

Sorry if this is a lot but I'm soooooooo FRUSTRATED!!!

4 replies
lilthorner Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 6:00am
post #2 of 5

when doing a stacked construction, the cake isn't whats holding up the cakes above, it's the support system, such as SPS, dowels (wooden or plastic) straws.. what are u you using.

regarding your leaning cakes, are you leveling them? are you filling them and letting them set after you fill them? when I am doing a regular dessert cake, I don't level the top after filling, but if I am doing a stacked cake, I level the whole tier before icing..

Loucinda Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 5

How "loose" is the filling on your torted cakes? If it is not a firm filling, you may want to put a small "dam" of stiffer frosting around the edges to help keep the filling where it is supposed to be and thus helping keep the layers from shifting around.

newbaker55 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 12:59pm
post #4 of 5

I agree with lilthorner and loucinda on their replies. I also purchased a small carpenter's level (from a hardware store) that I use exclusively for food. When I place the next cake layer on top of the one dammed and filled, I sit a cake board on top and check with my level. If it's off a bit, you can smoosh the cake board down on the side that needs adjusting. then on to the next layer, and so forth. HTH icon_smile.gif

pastryqueen9 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 5

Wow! Okay! I'm starting to understand now! Thanks newbaker55 for the info on the carpenters level...I'll be going to purchase one for myself. Loucinda now that you mention it the filling and the dam were "loose"! What a big "duh" on my part...I wasn't even thinking about the dam being of a sturdier frosting in order to hold in the filling. I'll remember that next time...thanks! Lilthorner, I use both wooden and plastic dowels (not at the same time). I do level all of my cakes before icing, but I don't really let them sit for a while after filling and before crumb coating. I will have to try that trick and see how it turns out...thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%