Clear Glaze For Hockey Rink Ice?

Decorating By Crabbabs Updated 13 Mar 2010 , 5:12am by cakesrock

Crabbabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crabbabs Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:09am
post #1 of 5

I am working on a cake that will look like an ice rink for a hockey party.

I was talking with my boyfriend (I don't know anything about hockey) and the way the hockey playing surface is created is that lines are painted on a surface and water is frozen about 1" thick over this.

My plan is to cover a cake with buttercream, pipe the hockey markings on it and then cover that with a clear glaze (to look like ice).

I was planning on using piping gel, but I don't want to purchase a whole lot of it, and I don't particually like how it tastes.

My questions are:
Does anyone have any suggestions or (yummy) recipes that might work for this instead of piping gel? Has anyone tried this before?

Sorry this is long - TIA!

p.s. The cake is for sunday

4 replies
linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:26am
post #2 of 5

How about making a clear gelatin topping - you could form it in the cake pan and then after it has set and you have inverted it place on the cake (maybe with thin sheet of gel to hold it onto the BC).

myKzooKid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myKzooKid Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:30am
post #3 of 5

Hockey rink ice has more of an opaque nature to it than shiny, right? Not sure if this would work or if you even have access to the right materials. What about using rice paper or blank edible image paper? I would think you would still be able to see the piped lines underneath. Anyway, hopefully someone else will have a better idea for you.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 5

I think the jello idea would work! If you cut down into the cake and dug out a base for the rink (kinda like those swimming pool cakes with the jello) and then ice the inside of the whole dug out area (keeps the jello from soaking into the cake)......then go ahead and pipe all of your lines as needed, then make some jello that's clear (like white grape, coconut, soemthing like that)....once you make the jello, let it come to room temp (it can't be hot or it will just melt the icing)...well it's room temp. but not set up....pour it into the top of the dug out portion and refrigerate the cake until the jello is set!

Another option would be to make a poured sugar rink, pipe all your lines and then lay the sheet of hardened poured sugar over top.

I did that with this penguin cake (oddly enough it was for a hockey rink lol...but I used blue jolly ranchers, and put fish underneath the "ice")

HTH
LL

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 5:12am
post #5 of 5

Hi, I think I would use fondant and paint on white mixed with vanilla with a wide brush. Then paint on your stripes. When it's all dry, you could use crisco to make it look shiny. I did something similar for a gym floor (in my photos).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%