What Pans To Use, Cake For 150Ppl~Help!

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 13 Mar 2010 , 4:47am by indydebi

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:01am
post #1 of 16

Ok, I have a cake to make for saturday....the cake has to feed 150ppl and I want my base cake to be using a 12" pan.

Im so confused as I looked at all my notes, books, whatever, and They all say something different as to how many ppl they feed! I dont want to be cut short and I ceratinly dont want to "give" way to much cake/work.

Im using a wilton fountain to the side of the cakes. So when they say a 6" feeds 12, is that a one layer, so if make it a 2layers its now 24? Im asking as I copied from different sites and Im getting way off numbers.

In my notes I copied off the net from different sites to compare I have:
12" - 40ppl one pan
10" - 28ppl one pan
8" - 20ppl one pan
6" - 12ppl one pan

and Im 2 layers...so Im so lost...as another person has it make different amounts..OK, IM STOPPING, IM RAMBLING...HELP!!!!!

15 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:15am
post #2 of 16
2txmedics Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:20am
post #3 of 16

OMG!!!! It sure does!!! thanks so much!!!! I didnt even know it existed!!! Ive been sitting here with my pans, notes and caluclator!!! lol...dahhhh

metria Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:21am
post #4 of 16

part of the confusion might be because "party" cake slices are generally bigger than "wedding" cake slices. from wilton's site:

Party Cakes

Quote:
Quote:

Serving amounts are based on party-sized portions of approximately 1.5 x 2 in. Cakes from 3 to 6 in. high, baked in the same size pan, would yield the same number of servings because they follow the same pattern of cutting. Cakes shorter than 3 in. would yield half the number of servings indicated for that pan. Number of servings are intended as a guide only.

Wedding Cakes

Quote:
Quote:

Serving amounts are based on wedding-sized portions of approximately 1 x 2 in. Cakes from 3 to 6 in. high, baked in the same size pan, would yield the same number of servings because they follow the same pattern of cutting. Cakes shorter than 3 in. would yield half the number of servings indicated for that pan. Number of servings are intended as a guide only.

2txmedics Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:28am
post #5 of 16

what I had done when I first started making cakes was go to different sites of ppl who make cakes, like Earlene's cakes, and so on...well I just printed out the charts, from about 4 different ppl.

They all give different slice amts for those pans!!!! So of course I got lost...lol

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:47am
post #6 of 16

Hey that Wilton chart cake calculator is pretty cool!

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

part of the confusion might be because "party" cake slices are generally bigger than "wedding" cake slices. from wilton's site:

Not exactly. Those explanations from the Wilton site are kind of long winded and leave you more confused than enlightened.

A standard party cake slice is 2"x2"x2" = 8 cubic inches of cake.

A standard wedding cake slice is 1"x2"x4" = 8 cubic inches of cake.

If you were just thinking 1"x2" vs. 2"x2", sure... it looks like party slices are bigger, but once you add in the difference in the height, you really end up with the same amount of cake.

What is really different is that what they're calling party slices are usually only one 2" layer, sometimes torted so that you can have 1 layer of filling in the middle. What they're calling wedding slices are usually two 2" layers, sometimes with just the one layer of filling in between the two, and sometimes torted so that you can have 3 layers of filling (or filling, frosting, filling) in between the layers of cake.

Earlene's chart does give more generous portions. All that really amounts to is more work for the person making the cake. If I were to go with Earlene's chart, my per serving price would have to be higher, so that I was still covering the costs of ingredients, overhead, and time to make the cake.

Sagebrush Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2txmedics

So when they say a 6" feeds 12, is that a one layer, so if make it a 2layers its now 24? Im asking as I copied from different sites and Im getting way off numbers.

No... when they say 6" feeds 12, they mean a 2 layer 6" round tier.

Here's some options for ya... I'm going by the Wilton chart, as that is industry standard. This is for 2 layer (so, approximately 4" tall) tiers.

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

12" round = 56 servings
10" round = 38 servings
8" round = 24 servings
6" round = 12 servings

TOTAL = 130 servings

If you bump them all up one size:

14" round = 78 servings
12" round = 56 servings
10" round = 38 servings
8" round = 24 servings

TOTAL = 196 servings

If you went with squares instead of circles:

12" square = 72 servings
10" square = 50 servings
8" square = 32 servings
6" square = 18 servings

TOTAL = 172 servings

If you wanted to try mixed squares & circles (please note... sizes on this are the way they are because squares are bigger corner to corner, which means you need a bigger difference between the square tier and a round one underneath. An 8" square has a diagonal of 11.3"):

14" square = 98 servings
12" circle = 56 servings
8" square = 32 servings
6" circle = 12 servings

TOTAL = 198 servings

Or circles with a square base:

12" square = 72 servings
10" round = 38 servings
8" round = 24 servings
6" round = 12 servings

TOTAL = 146 servings

Or circles with a petal base:

15" petal = 64 servings
12" round = 56 servings
10" round = 38 servings
8" round = 24 servings

TOTAL = 182 servings

Or, the same using 12", 9", 6" circles instead of 12", 10", 8" circles:

15" petal = 64 servings
12" round = 56 servings
9" round = 32 servings
6" round = 12 servings

TOTAL = 164 servings

HTH

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:29pm
post #9 of 16

that chart is so awesome.........that would be great to link up to your business website for customers to figure out their servings!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:42pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:

They all give different slice amts for those pans!!!! So of course I got lost...lol

The trick is to pick one chart and stick with it.

I use the wilton wedding chart, which is pretty much the industry standard. People are welcome to cut it larger if they want, but they are paying for the number of servings the cake is designed to serve. If they plan to cut them bigger, then they need to plan to order a bigger cake.
http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

Here's pics of a 1x2x4" piece of cake. notice they are not paper thin, like most people envision when they hear "one inch":
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1156785

Here's how to cut the cakes to achieve those servings:
http://www.cateritsimple.com/id10.html

metria Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:39pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush

Quote:

Not exactly. Those explanations from the Wilton site are kind of long winded and leave you more confused than enlightened.

A standard party cake slice is 2"x2"x2" = 8 cubic inches of cake.

A standard wedding cake slice is 1"x2"x4" = 8 cubic inches of cake.

If you were just thinking 1"x2" vs. 2"x2", sure... it looks like party slices are bigger, but once you add in the difference in the height, you really end up with the same amount of cake.

What is really different is that what they're calling party slices are usually only one 2" layer, sometimes torted so that you can have 1 layer of filling in the middle. What they're calling wedding slices are usually two 2" layers, sometimes with just the one layer of filling in between the two, and sometimes torted so that you can have 3 layers of filling (or filling, frosting, filling) in between the layers of cake.

Earlene's chart does give more generous portions. All that really amounts to is more work for the person making the cake. If I were to go with Earlene's chart, my per serving price would have to be higher, so that I was still covering the costs of ingredients, overhead, and time to make the cake.

Thanks! That does clear things up for me ... I was weirded out by their "3 to 6 in. high" part. Either way, that's not enough cake for me icon_wink.gif I go back for seconds.

Sagebrush Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:41pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:

Thanks! That does clear things up for me ... I was weirded out by their "3 to 6 in. high" part. Either way, that's not enough cake for me icon_wink.gif I go back for seconds.

Glad I could help... and I agree... more cake=more better icon_wink.gif

indydebi Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:50pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:

Ok, I have a cake to make for saturday....the cake has to feed 150ppl and I want my base cake to be using a 12" pan...... In my notes I copied off the net from different sites to compare I have:
12" - 40ppl one pan
10" - 28ppl one pan
8" - 20ppl one pan
6" - 12ppl one pan

Just out of curiosity ...... Your own numbers show that using a 12" base cake is not even going to be close to getting 150 servings, so why/how did you come up with using a 12" cake to start with? icon_confused.gif Logically, you should figure the number of servings per cake before you can know which pans you need to use. Was this something the bride requested or something?

nicoles0419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0419 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:05pm
post #14 of 16

Thanks for posting that cake calculator, that will help me alot icon_smile.gif

2txmedics Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:21pm
post #15 of 16

Indy, I came up with strting with a 12" because The woman wants it to look like alot of cake, and just make more smaller ones...thats what she wanted, so she is paying for it...I would rather have gone a tad bigger to make less cakes but the same amt.

Sagebrush, Thanks so much for posting all thw work! It helps, I really appreciate it....

Ok back to baking...

indydebi Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:47am
post #16 of 16

Oh, I see now what the plan is! Thx! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%