Big Bakerys Against Hb2771

Decorating By suz3 Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 1:01pm by Kitagrl

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 5:39am
post #31 of 34

Good luck, I hope it passes for all of you! I live in a cottage state and I can't see where it should be any issue! Home bakers can't bake the numbers that a commercial bakery can. No larger bakery will ever support such a measure for fear of losing business. It's just "business", if that makes sense but I think there is room for all!

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 5:44am
post #32 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Says it passed on the 24th of February.
http://www.okhouse.gov/committees/showvotes.aspx?ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_RadGrid1ChangePage=4

Economic Development and Financial Services Committee
2009-2010 Regular Session

HOUSE BILL2771 Home Based Bakeries Act
Proctor
DO PASS AS AMENDED BY CS PASSED

YEAS: 14 RCS# 99
NAYS: 0 2/24/2010
C/P : 0 11:19 AM

YEAS: 14

Auffet McDaniel (R.) Ownbey Sullivan
Carey McNiel Peters Key
Faught Moore Shelton
Liebmann Morgan Shumate

NAYS: 0

yay! Congrats!

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:46am
post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjulie

I see the point there, I'm just wondering what home baker has that sort of space in their house? I mean, honestly the thought of that in my kitchen would be like my worst nightmare, lol! Can you imagine the chaos?!?!

Then why allow the income limit to be so high? I agree, that's a very large volume to produce in a home kitchen and that raises safety and health issues as well. But, if that's the limit the law sets, you can bet people will attempt to sell that volume.

It also allows for bakers like me, who do have the facilities to handle 20k in volume to not have to follow the regulations I am now required to follow. And you can bank on it...if they pass this law I will not be replacing my commercial appliances with commercial appliances. That 3 bay sink and mop sink that takes up half my space will be gone and I'll revert back to a home kitchen set up. I simply can't justify the expense of a commercial bakery when faced with equally capable competition that has nothing to lose financially and can undercut my prices because their expenses are a fraction of mine.

I think this bill hits bakers like me the hardest and we're the ones who can afford to take the hit the least. We're small volume home bakers who bit the bullet, invested the money and got licensed.

But, as I've said before, given reasonable requirements, even though I am licensed, I would support a change in the laws to allow for home baking sales. A mom baking a few cakes a month is not a threat to my business. This bill is.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:01pm
post #34 of 34

I don't think the income cap is a good idea. If you are charging correctly and you do alot of novelty and wedding cakes, you could fairly easily rack that up. (For instance someone earlier thought the cap should be at $5000, if I remember right...but I easily exceeded that last year out of my home.)

I'm not at $20,000/year yet but I think I could do that without buying a storefront...its a matter of quality, and big orders. If I did one wedding per week (for instance) for 200 people at $5/serving would be $1000/week....take out $300 expenses and still that's $700 times 52 weeks, that's over $36,000! And that's only one big wedding, or two medium weddings, per week. And could easily be done from home.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%