Need Some Pricing Info From The Pros.

Business By Sabre3of4 Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 12:34pm by Loucinda

Sabre3of4 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:54am
post #1 of 5

I'm writing a paper on a cake I'm going to be making for my son. I was hoping I could get a pricing estimate for what I'm going to be making because part of why I took up baking is so I could 'save' money by doing my kids cakes and I wanted to show that on the paper.(LOL, I'm sure we all know how much money we end up saving when this route is chosen icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif I think I've spent more than a years worth of decorated cakes from the local specialty shop by now).

So far, I'm around $30 in pans, candy molds and ingredients.
My plan is this. I want to do a 4 layer checkboard cake. I got the 9" wilton checkerboard pan and DS wants DH devil's food and french vanilla for the flavors. I got the molds for 3-d chess pieces and a checkerboard to go on top. Simple buttercreme icing with a simple border. I might get crazy with 1/2 chess pieces on the sides. I'm not sure yet....

So the big questions is what would you charge for such a cake if you would make one a small as this?

Thank you,
Sabrina

4 replies
leah_s Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:30am
post #2 of 5

Pros price by the serving. Sooo, how many servings are you making? This is a 1 tier 9" square cake right?

prterrell Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:39am
post #3 of 5

Cost of ingredients, including gas to go to and from store, cost of electricity/gas used in baking, making icing, refrigeration of ingredients prior to baking, lights in the kitchen from start to finish, water and detergent to wash up, wear and tear on appliances (large and small) and utensils (bowls, pans, spatulas, etc.), how long it takes you to make everything x hourly wage....unfortunately, all of those things are variable depending on several factors, including the recipes used and prices of things in your area.

dguerrant Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 6:34am
post #4 of 5

For me, whether it is a 9" square or a 14" square, the amount of the time stays the same. It takes nearly as much time to do a small cake as it does for a larger one. For these specialty type cakes, I focus more on the time it takes and figure it hourly. To me it depends on the level of dificulty as well.

Loucinda Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 12:34pm
post #5 of 5

I was thinking that pan was an 8" round? If it is, and you are making 4 layers, that would be 48 servings. Now, how much are you charging per serving? For example, if you charge $4. per serving, that cake would be $192. Only you can decide what your price per serving would be. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%