Penny Cake?? Pls Help

Decorating By sandy5491 Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 5:58pm by Bettycrockermommy

sandy5491 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:38am
post #1 of 5

I was just asked to do a penny cake for a little boy thats turning 1 yr old
and his name is lincoln. I have a image, to do a penny on the cake and they what his picture on it, and they want his birthday on the cake too. I do have edible paper and chocolate. Anyone have any ideas? or done anything like this? I have couple of weeks to do this.
Thanks for your help. thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
MyDiwa Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:54am
post #2 of 5

Maybe make a round, single tier cake in brown (color of a penny) and see if you can create a document with the boy's image in the center, words on the top (maybe Happy Birthday) and his birth date the year of his birth on either side of his picture (ie month and day on the left and year on the right). See if maybe you can print the image in Sepia and then lay the whole thing over the top of the cake. Then maybe ridges imprinted with skewers all along the sides of the cake like the ridges of a penny. If you take a look at a penny you'll get a better idea of what I'm trying to say.

KHalstead Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 5

sounds like such a cool idea for a cake. Here is what I would do personally. I would get a photo of their son at a side view, since that's what's on the penny. Then cut it out of fondant (or do a fbct if the cake is all bc) and impress any details using a toothpick and light pressure (put the actual photo over top of the fondant cut out and trace over the main lines of his face,hair,etc.)........afterall the picture of Lincoln has minimal details to it too. Then I would get some "bronze" luster dust and dust the whole cake! The name and dates and such could either be piped on with royal and dusted with the luster dust once dried or cut out of fondant if you've got cutters.

Such a cool idea for a cake!! Can't wait to see it!!

Sagebrush Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 5

I was also going to suggest a FBCT. Then you'd get raised details, and it would all be exactly the same color.

Bettycrockermommy Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 5

Sounds like a cool idea for a cake! Can't wait to see this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%