Bowling Bowl Cake On Top Of 10" Square Cake?

Decorating By bakngran Updated 16 Mar 2010 , 4:15pm by mayhem68

bakngran Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 3

I am going to make a birthday cake for my grandson (7 yrs. old). He wants a bowling ball cake. We will need enough cake for about 20 to 22 people. I was going to do a cake with the Wilton sports ball as the bowling ball and put it on a 10" square cake and decorate with bowling pin candles set. Should I secure the bowling ball cake onto the square cake with a dowel since I will have to travel (2 hrs.) with the cake. Also, is it possible
(and easy?) to cover the bowling ball in fondant and be able to get it smoother than icing it? (I've never really worked with fondant before) I had planned to put the bowling ball on a small round cake board to place on the square cake and probably put supports into the square cake to hold the ball. OR would it be easier to do a rice krispies ball and cover it with fondant and place that on the square cake instead??[/b]

2 replies
MyDiwa Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:06am
post #2 of 3

That size isn't that hard to cover in fondant but if you haven't worked with fondant before it might be tricky. I suggest laying the fondant over the cake and quickly smoothing with your hands over it, working from top to bottom. Then when you get to the bottom, tuck it in as much as you can and cut away the excess, leaving about an inch. Then take your fondant smoother and push in the excess towards the cake. That'll form a crease at the base. You then take your fondant cutter and cut on that crease. It gives you a very smooth finish so you don't have a messy look at the base of the cake. I hope that makes sense.

As for doweling, I would just treat it the same as any tiered cake. Since I use the SPS the few times I do a tiered cake, I dont have much experience in that area. Hopefully someone else will chip in. For now I would imagine two dowels under the ball and a center dowel through both would work, but as I said, I'm no expert in this.

mayhem68 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 3

I made a bowling cake several years ago on very short notice and I did something similar to what you are talking about. I used a 9x13-inch cake as the bottom and then used the Wilton sports ball pan for the bowling ball. Before icing the 9x13 cake, I used a melon baller and scooped out a small area for the "ball" to sit in. Frosted the 9x13 with buttercream, put a thin layer of buttercream on the ball and then coverd in marbled blue/white fondant. It was pretty easy to cover the ball cake. I used the Wilton pan as a guide in both carving the area on the 9x13 cake and for measuring the fondant to be certain that I had a big enough piece to cover the ball. When I triimed the fondant on the bowling ball, I left a little extra on the bottom and used it to make a flat base area to help keep the ball stable on the bottom cake. I did not have to travel far with the cake, so I did not use any dowels in it. I also used candy molds for bowling balls and bowling pins to put around the sides of the cake.

I have attached a picture for you. Hope it helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%