Monogram Help

Decorating By beemarie Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 6:20pm by beemarie

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 9

I need to make a monogram for a 6" round cake. I have yet to make one (it is the first initial of the bride, groom and the new last name--three letters together intertwined). I have read Martha Stewart's newest wedding cake book and she shows how to do a monogram with RI, which looks fairly simple. But the one in her book the monogram goes on a square cake. The cake I am doing is for a round cake. How do I make the curve for the monogram to fit onto the round cake? I hope this makes sense...Any tips or ideas? I would highly appreciate it!
Thank you very much ~

8 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 9

i've never tried this before, but i did bookmark this because i thought it was a neat tutorial:

http://bakeat350.blogspot.com/2008/07/new-way-to-monogram.html

beemarie Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you, Metria. That looks like a graat idea and maybe I will try sometime.

My main thing I need to do is get the curvature for a round cake, so when I pipe the RI, or even candy melts, onto a pattern, I need it to be curved, then when I transfer it, it will be okay for the cake. Hoping for no breaking, of course! I am sure I will make several just in case.

I guess I can tape the pattern onto a bowl? Then cover with plastic or wax paper, then transfer after it has dried? Has anybody done this?

jhuntl01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhuntl01 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 9

Yes, do it on something that is round and the same diameter as the cake layer you are putting it on. Tape wax paper, draw your design in royal, let it dry and then peel it off.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 12:01am
post #5 of 9

i guess let it dry on your cake pan? or a cake dummy of the same size?

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 12:05am
post #6 of 9

Thank you!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

i've never tried this before, but i did bookmark this because i thought it was a neat tutorial:

http://bakeat350.blogspot.com/2008/07/new-way-to-monogram.html

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 12:26am
post #7 of 9

the letters in this name are fondant with a little Tylose added. I dusted a cake pan with cornstarch and let them dry on the side so they'd be curved. You could use the same technique for a monogram.
HTH
LL

mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 12:36am
post #8 of 9

A couple of years ago, I bought drum buckets in different sizes intending to cut them in half vertically so that I would have curves that matched most cake rounds for just this type of purpose. I then moved, a couple of times, and finally gave the uncut buckets to my dad for whatever use, but I still think it's a good idea. I got them at a hardware store and they cost a fraction of what a dummy cake would cost AND you'd have more surface area... might just have to get me some new buckets in the near future. icon_wink.gif

beemarie Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 6:20pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you everybody, this certainly helps! I will give it a go this way--love the idea about the buckets.

I love how the Hello Kitty writing turned out. The style is beautiful and another great idea. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%