Need Help For 13 Year Old

Decorating By shanienee Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 4:27pm by pamjams

shanienee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanienee Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 8

My son will be 13 on Sunday. He wants a banana split cake, but it will need to be frozen as it has ice cream on top(wilton). Does anyone have any other ideas for what type of cake to make for a 13 year old boy. I haven't worked with fondant but I do pretty good with buttercream.
I can do this cake with no problem. The problem that I am running into is keeping it frozen.
It will be a sheet cake with whipped frosting, and 3 rows of ice cream. One chocolate, one vanilla, and one strawberry. It will have bananas and pineapple tidbits on top and be drizzled in chocolate. Each scoop of ice cream will have a star of whipped topping and a cherry.
I am looking for a backup cake that won't have to be kept frozen, just in case I can't fit it in my freezer.

7 replies
myKzooKid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myKzooKid Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 8

Do you mean the theme of the cake is a banana split or the flavor of the cake is banana split with actual ice cream as part of the ingredients?

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 8

You can always decorate an ice cream cake with buttercream. Are you having problems with being able to keep the cake frozen? Please give us more information.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 9:25pm
post #4 of 8

http://www.wilton.com/idea/The-Ultimate-Banana-Split

I'm guessing she means this cake?

shanienee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanienee Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 8

I'm guessing she means this cake?

That is the cake that he picked out.

shapeacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shapeacake Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 8

Here's a thought:
- Make the base cake and frost it in advance.
- Prepare the 12 scoops of ice cream, and freeze those in a container.
- Earlier that day, slice the bananas coating them with a little bit of lemon juice
- Right before you're ready to serve the cake, put the ice cream scoops on the cake and top with the bananas, pineapple, chocolate syrup, whipped cream, and cherries.

If you just freeze the ice cream scoops, that shouldn't take too much freezer room. Also this last-minute preparation should really only take a few minutes.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 8

Yeah, I don't see why you can't just scoop the ice cream onto the cake just before you serve it. Although I do see the issue with the bananas browning. Lemon juice should help with that as shapeacake said.

That cake looks super yummy btw. I love banana splits!

pamjams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamjams Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:27pm
post #8 of 8

I saw the wilton banana split cake looks yummy, but if you are looking for a different idea, my daughter made a banana cake covered with chocolate buttercream served with strawberry ice cream and called it banana split.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%