Cricut Cake Cut Paper Too?

Decorating By kileyscakes Updated 5 May 2010 , 6:19am by fondantfrenzy

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 22

I am really debating buying the expression or the cake. I would like to just get the cake if I can cut cupcake wrappers and other things on it too. I would use a different blade and mat. But I also think the cake would be better because then I don't have to worry quite as much on getting the fondant/gumpaste really thin through a pasta machine that I don't have. I would just like to be able to use my rolling pin at 1/16 or so. Any help in deciding would be great, or knows it it cuts paper well.
Thanks
Kiley

21 replies
Anita8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anita8 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 22

I was debating the same thing but have decided to go with the Cake. Check out this site cuttingedgecakeart.com/blog.php for a comparison of the two. The deep housing blade fits into the cake machine.

Mamaroo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamaroo Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 22

I have the Cricut Expressions machine...anyone know if I can just get the cake mat and still use my machine or am I going to have to get the Cake machine too!??

Jill in NJ

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 22

Jennifer Atwood has been testing both machines, here's her findings http://www.cuttingedgecakeart.com/blog.php

kileyscakes Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 22

I have been messaging with Jennifer and I sent her a svg file of a cupcake wrapper to cut and she is going to try it and let me know. I will post what I find out. I think I am leaning to getting the cake just seems better in the long run even though it might cost more I think it is worth it, and it is food safe.

Mamaroo Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 22

I have not used my Expressions machine much, so I am going to try it!

If not I have someone who is interested in it, then I will sell it to her, and buy the Cricut Cake!!

Jill

kileyscakes Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:55pm
post #7 of 22

I had a message from Jennifer this morning and she said it worked!! The results of this and other trials will be up tonight she thought. I am excited to read about it!!

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:44pm
post #8 of 22

I am so excited I preordered my Cricut cake last night for a special price of $294.00!

Mamaroo Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 22

Where did you order from for that price if you don't mind sharing the info.... That is a great price!

Jill

Spacistaci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spacistaci Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:48pm
post #10 of 22

I really want a cake cricut but have a hard tim epaying $400 for it. If I could get it for $280, I would do it. Could please let us me know where you ordered it from?

RetiredNavyChief Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:54pm
post #11 of 22

cutncrop . com you can pre order and get an extra 50 dollars off.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 6:07pm
post #12 of 22

That's where I'm getting mine too. They are local so I cn pick it up when they arrive icon_smile.gif

RetiredNavyChief Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:20pm
post #13 of 22

ah i have to wait for mine to ship. icon_cry.gif Lucky......

Spacistaci Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 10:08pm
post #14 of 22

Is there a coupon code? I just tried to order it but it gave me a total of $344, no $50 off.

Spacistaci Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 10:18pm
post #15 of 22

Nevermind, I googled it and to get the $50 discount, you need to enter "CAKE" in the coupon code.

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 2:58am
post #16 of 22

The results are up on the blog. http://www.cuttingedgecakeart.com

Jenn

annabanana183 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annabanana183 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:35am
post #17 of 22

can u use any cartridge or just the cake specific ones ,,, icon_redface.gif sorry am new to cricut

kileyscakes Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:43am
post #18 of 22

you can use them all!!!!!!!!

annabanana183 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annabanana183 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:52am
post #19 of 22

awesome icon_smile.gif thanks

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:37pm
post #20 of 22

Although you can use all the carts, some of the designs do not work. For example, tried to use the chick off of the Easter cart. The body cut fine, but the hair thin legs ripped off. The cake cart were made to use with icing.

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 7:42pm
post #21 of 22

Hi Jennifer - so if I'm understanding correctly, the deep cut housing is the alternate housing that fits into the CC? And this used in the CC along with a regular sticky mat would allow one to use the CC as a regular expression?

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:19am
post #22 of 22

I dont have my cricut cake yet, i just placed an order tongiht. But I would like to cut a bunch of one image for example like 20 hearts, is there a way i can say...print 20 of these or do i have to have 20 hearts on my software that I am using? also what is better SCAL or MTC? I read MTC is better...any info on this also?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%