Help Please!! Buttercream 911! How Do I......

Baking By Melinda3 Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 9:09pm by smokeysmokerton

Melinda3 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 8

...stop my buttercream from cracking? I don't understand what I'm doing wrong! I use the wilton recipe for the buttercream, but for some reason it hardens really fast, and when I cut into the cake, it fell off like it does when the cake and icing is old. I did everything it told me to do, but it's just not right! Please any tips??

7 replies
LeckieAnne Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 8

Sounds just too dry. I use Indydebi's recipe - works great - it's not fussy - easy to make - perfect every time. I always need all of the milk, though - and sometime add a bit more to thin it if needed.

Try this recipe:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

LeckieAnne Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 8

Oh, and are you using "100% PURE CANE" powdered sugar? I find that if you use regular powdered sugar it's dryer and more crumbly.

Melinda3 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you! I will have to try this one. Yes, I am using pure cane, and one more thing I forgot to add was that the icing was really greasy...

leah_s Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 8

Maybe you'd bettr post the recipe. Wilton's recipe is not greasy.

Melinda3 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 8

1/2 cup solid veg. shortening
1/2 cup butter
1tsp vanilla
4 cups sifted confectioners sugar
2tbs milk

2SchnauzerLady Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 8

What type of shortening are you using? That can cause BC to crack.

smokeysmokerton Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda3

1/2 cup solid veg. shortening
1/2 cup butter
1tsp vanilla
4 cups sifted confectioners sugar
2tbs milk

I tried this recipe too and it was awful. I don't think there's enough sugar in the recipe. I ended up using Wilton's snow white buttercream. I will say, though, that the snow white recipe seemed a little off too because it calls for 12 cups of sugar but by the time I got to 9 it was so stiff I could barely beat it. I ended up adding a little more water until I got the consistancy I wanted and let it be. I think you'd be safer using one of the recipes here cuz these gals really know their stuff!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%