Buttercream Under Fondant ?

Decorating By t4beatles Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 7:49pm by t4beatles

t4beatles Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 14

I thought I saw a post somewhere about this but can't find it - sorry for the repeat question. (and for some reason my search keeps giving me error messages!)

Anyhow - I am wondering if you use buttercream under your fondant? (not just the crumbcoat but a good layer)

If people take off the fondant to eat the cake should I put buttercream underneath ?

I have to use black fondant so using straight buttercream or the crusting buttercream is not an option. (I will be marbling black & white fondant to cover the cake)

Thank you for your replies!

13 replies
KHalstead Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 14

I always use the same amount of buttercream whether it's iced ONLY in bc or with fondant overtop. Why does the color of the fondant make a difference as to what buttercream you use?

DetailsByDawn Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 14

I'm curious too. Do you mean that because you need to marble the colours you can't do it in BC and must use fondant?

bashini Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 14

Hi, I use bc under fondant and its a little thicker layer than a crumbcoat. I would rather use a thin layer of bc and have a thick fondant on the top. I made a Thomas cake few months back and I used bc under black fondant. There wasn't anything wrong with it.

KHalstead Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 14

ah, I think I see what the OP meant.........the cake will be black or black and white marbled so it needs to be covered in fondant (black bc NOT a good thing!).........I gotcha!

JenniferMI Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 14

I always use a normal layer of BC under a thin layer of my white chocolate fondant. Works great!

Jen icon_smile.gif

t4beatles Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:43pm
post #7 of 14

Thank you all! I'll be using a nice layer of butter cream - will be my first time covering a complete cake with fondant. icon_smile.gif

Wish me luck - crossing my fingers it goes ok!!

chrissypie Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:54pm
post #8 of 14

I know, this confuses me too. I guess because I am a fondant novice. When I put a proper application of buttercream, I find my fondant is lumpy and bumpy due to squishing. I tried it once with just apricot preserves as a glue of sorts an got a much smoother look. I have Sharon Zambito's flawless fondant DVD and she just skims the cake with BC. There are so many different camps on this.

rainyone Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:23pm
post #9 of 14

I have both Sugarshacks dvd and JenniferMI's and I would rather use a full layer of buttercream and a thinner layer of fondant. There are benefits to either but even with the white chocolate fondant most people expect a good amount of bc. Plus my buttercream is to die for according to most people. icon_smile.gif

jhay Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:33pm
post #10 of 14

My trick is to get a bench scraper (can be found at Wal-Mart for about $3) and make sure my buttercream is super smooth before I put on fondant. Sifting the powdered sugar makes a huge difference in how lumpy the buttercream is.

I've found that if I use SMBC...I smooth it just like I would if I left it plain, and put it in the fridge for a little while...it hardens up b/c of the butter and makes for a much less bumpy fondant application.

Bettycrockermommy Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:39pm
post #11 of 14

Definitely refrigerate the cake before applying the fondant. It makes it sooo much easier to work with.

mbt4955 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 6:34pm
post #12 of 14

I have also used ganache in place of the buttercream. You definitely have to get it smooth before applying the fondant, but you can use a lot more pressure with your fondant. You also need to use a good quality chocolate since it will be eaten in place of icing.

tonedna Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 6:54pm
post #13 of 14

I am not understanding why you can't use crsuting buttercream.

As for me I always put buttercream under my fondant. I use crusting buttercream. I refrigerate it and put the fondant over the cold cake.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

t4beatles Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 7:49pm
post #14 of 14

Oohhh... good idea Edna - I'll try the crusting buttercream under the fondant!!

I haven't used this recipe yet but am very interested - I'll get to play with 2 different things! icon_smile.gif

I'm just an at home baker for friends, family and work and they're loving it!! They get all my 'play time' cakes!

One day I hope to be able to rent a space... I'm in IL so it's illegal to do out of the house without proper licenses/space etc... icon_sad.gif

I was even thinking of looking for a local baker who might need an apprentice... just a thought! (my full time job isn't very creative, and after 12 years I'm really bored! LOL)

Thank you again for the great advise!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%