Did I Quote Too Much??

Decorating By cupcakeco Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 4:33pm by LindieLu

Jenny0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny0730 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 5:28pm
post #31 of 39

I would stick to your price. It's a lot less stressful if you make the decision to stand firm with people and not let them haggle you. Your price is what it is....take it or leave it lady! icon_biggrin.gif

Jemoiselle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jemoiselle Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 6:15pm
post #32 of 39

It took several no's when I adjusted my pricing to make it worth my while, for me to finally get it. Everyone wants a deal, everyone wants something for nothing! It may be expensive, and it might be more than "Jane Doe's Bakery" down the street...but I would not desire to be in business for any less for my time, so the options are either quit and get a new hobby, or stick to asking confidently for what I am worth. I prefer to attract clients with the ability to appreciate my work as more than just cake, and setting my prices fairly (in my favor) keep the right kinds of clients coming my way.

Good luck!

kensoven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kensoven Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 7:59pm
post #33 of 39

I agree with indydebi!!

I'm kinda new at this, and I've seen that people ask for a lot, but want everything for free.

Your work has a price and you shouldn't change it. And you should not feel bad about it, or does the car seller feels bad about you when you tell him you only have $2000 to buy a car? (no, you go and look for something under your price range!).

Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 9:17pm
post #34 of 39

It sounds like you want to do the cake so I would offer to split the difference with her ($22.50), use the Wilton ball pan and skip the extra layer to sculpt. You should still be making the same profit, she will get a beautiful cake and everyone should be happy. If she can't come up with an extra $22.50 then she has no business asking for a designer cake. IMHO

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 7:00pm
post #35 of 39

NEVER let the customer dictate your price. She will be telling all her friends, "Oh, just haggle with her, she'll come around, that's what I did". I agree with everyone else, offer her a lesser version to accomodate her price. If she only wants to pay $180 for a cake, then she needs to order a $180 cake, not a $225 one.

Hey, my son really really wants an Armani suit for his 1st Communion, but I just don't have that kind of money. Wonder if I can find one for my $100 budget?

preciouspjs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciouspjs Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:44am
post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

If I only have $2000 to buy a car then I can only get a $2000 car.

Hate to be the one to inform her that this is how the real world works.

I love this!! I'm really new at cake decorating.. but I probably only charge $1-$2 per serving.. am I crazy?

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 6:29am
post #37 of 39

My price would have been between $290 and $315 for that cake (done more realistic) So no I don't think your quote was too high. She may be bluffing trying to get you to come down on your price. You could always tell her you shopped around and for a quality job on that cake it would be more like $300 , so if she can get it for $170 she may have to go with the other baker, but I bet she won't be happy with it...

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:02am
post #38 of 39

I love this!! I'm really new at cake decorating.. but I probably only charge $1-$2 per serving.. am I crazy?[/quote]

This depends a lot on the area you're in. Someone else on here noted that in the city $4 a serving is cheap, but in Iowa it's a rip off. I'm in Iowa, and if it's over $1.50 a serving people think it's highway robbery. People around here want a Martha Stewart wedding cake at a Walmart price. It's hard to get paid what you're worth sometimes, but don't back down. You quoted your price. Stick with it. If she wants a $180 cake and you want to try accomodate her, draw up your version of $180 cake. Take out some of the details that will take up the most time and try to compromise with her. If that's not acceptable to her, then no cake. I agree with whoever said you'll get a reputation if she blabs to her friends that you came down. You definately don't want that. Stay firm! You're worth it!

LindieLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindieLu Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 4:33pm
post #39 of 39

wonder whatever happened.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%