What To Charge For This Cake?

Decorating By KsCakes09 Updated 13 Mar 2010 , 12:02am by JCE62108

KsCakes09 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 3

Customer requested this cake to feed 40 -50 people. Looking for some help in pricing it. I usually end up not charging enough for my cakes compared to most people. Its my own fault because I feel like I'm new at it & I shouldn't be charging what expierenced decorators charge & if I charge a lot I won't get the business. But in the end I get frustrated because I know I should've charged more. Just for a guide ..I called a local bakery & they charge $3 /slice for all tiered cakes (buttercream) they don't do fondant. Depending on detail they go up from there. Need some suggestions please.

2 replies
CeeTee Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 12:39am
post #2 of 3

Cake Boss has a great guide on helping you determine what to charge. I highly reccomend reading it. It should answer all your questions icon_smile.gif

JCE62108 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 12:02am
post #3 of 3

Well, an 8 and a 10 will give you about 48 servings. If I were doing this cake, it would be $216 plus delivery, and that is if they chose a basic flavor like chocolate, vanilla, marble, etc. My pricing is actually lower than all my competition, and Im in FL. I dont know were you are or what cakes go for in your area, but $4.50/serving is my bottom price for fondant cakes and I rarely go above that unless Im adding gumpaste stuff to it, then I charge more for that. I think $216 would be a safe bottom price for you. I wouldnt go lower. Maybe if your unsure what this would go for in your area, try calling another custom bakery and asking what they would charge for such a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%