Marshmallow Fondent Problems

Decorating By Arieyane Updated 2 May 2010 , 1:39pm by bates123

Arieyane Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 12

O.k...I made my first mmf cake but i was so fustrated with the mmf that I almost threw it out the window. I got it togeather finally & i think for my first one it came out pretty good. but these are some problems I had. if you have any comment or suggestion, fell free to comment so my next one can hopefully be more peacefully.

1.) I roll out the fondent on the wilton fondent sheet thing & it was so sticky I couldent get it off the sheet w/o it falling apart. I had to manually cut the fondent in to 5 blocks to put around the cake, Can u make mmf somewhat as firm as regular?

2.) Tips on making bow's with mmf. or what do u use to make bows?

3.) after letting it set in the frige for hrs, it was so tuff I warmed it up a bit to work with for about 45 sec. too long or what do you do to get it to work.

I really want this to work. it taste so much better & is so much cheaper than regular.

11 replies
Loucinda Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 12

I'll see if I can help - MMF is the only fondant I use.

1. It should NOT be sticky at all. When you make it, keep adding powdered sugar and KNEAD until it is satiny and smooth NOT sticky.

2. It does not need to be refrigerated. Coat it with shortning, wrap tightly 2x with plastic wrap and stick in a ziploc bag. Done. Leave it on counter top!

3. When you go to use it, it should be hard. Zap it in the microwave for 10- 15 sec. intervals until it softens. (DO NOT over heat it!)

4. I roll it out on a lightly greased mat - either vinyl or the wilton one will work. MAKE SURE YOUR MAT IS CLEAN. I have students that bring their mats in and it will have little bits of stuff stuck to it......the fondant will stick to that even if it is greased. CLEAN the mat well, lightly grease, then roll your fondant out. Lift it the first few rolls to make sure it isn't sticking. Then flip the entire mat over to put the fondant on your cake.

Loucinda Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 12

To make bows, you need more than MMF - you need a 50/50 blend with gumpaste or add some tylose/gumtex to the fondant. MMF will not dry enough for bow work by itself.

If you haven't ever worked with fondant before, use a coupon, go to Michaels and buy some wilton - it is the perfect consistency to work with - then you will know what the MMF should feel like when it is done.

Arieyane Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

To make bows, you need more than MMF - you need a 50/50 blend with gumpaste or add some tylose/gumtex to the fondant. MMF will not dry enough for bow work by itself.

If you haven't ever worked with fondant before, use a coupon, go to Michaels and buy some wilton - it is the perfect consistency to work with - then you will know what the MMF should feel like when it is done.

O.k can you be more descriptive on how you would mix the gumpaste with the fondent?

Loucinda Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 12

You take the same amount of each product, and knead them together. I knead them on a lightly greased surface, and lightly grease my hands (use solid shortning)

SunshineSally Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 12

ditto for what Loucinda said!

I had to learn all of those tips thru trial and error but they are all correct and can totally make the MMF experience much better!

Arieyane Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:

So, The regular fondent that you buy at the store...is that what mmf supose to feel like when your done kneeding it for the first time or after you let it sit? while making the mmf, how long would you say a person should kneed?

Loucinda Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 8:14pm
post #8 of 12

When it is freshly made - yes, it should feel just like the bought fondant. When you cover it and let it set, it will harden some. That is normal - just zap it in the microwave for a few seconds at a time and it will soften up just fine. (and again, will feel like the purchased fondant)

When you are first making it you will knead it for quite a while (like 10 minutes??) I have never timed it to see. You want it smooth and satiny - not sticky, not dry and clumpy - very smooth, no elephant skin, no cellulite! Smooth and satiny. That is where most screw up when making it, they do not knead it enough, or they add too much powdered sugar and they dry it out.

Arieyane Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 8:29pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:

When it is freshly made - yes, it should feel just like the bought fondant. When you cover it and let it set, it will harden some. That is normal - just zap it in the microwave for a few seconds at a time and it will soften up just fine. (and again, will feel like the purchased fondant)

When you are first making it you will knead it for quite a while (like 10 minutes??) I have never timed it to see. You want it smooth and satiny - not sticky, not dry and clumpy - very smooth, no elephant skin, no cellulite! Smooth and satiny. That is where most screw up when making it, they do not knead it enough, or they add too much powdered sugar and they dry it out.

Excuse me if im becoming a pest, its just that I like extreem details icon_redface.gif
So..after you put in the first batch of powder sugar & started the kneeding intervals of adding powder sugar, that whole process should only take you around 10 min? & by the way Im very grateful for your help.

Loucinda Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 8:41pm
post #10 of 12

When I have the ingredients dumped out onto the counter top - and start kneading it, I add a little poweder sugar, knead, more sugar, knead. I also keep scraping the counter top - keep the hard little bits that stick cleared off (I use a bench scraper to do this) I think it takes about 10 minutes to do this, again, I have never timed myself for sure. I just keep kneading until it is smooth.

I never dump the whole amount of sugar in at one time. Sometimes I will end up kneading in all of it sometimes there will be some left over, and there have been a time or two when I needed more than the recipe called for. It just depends on the humidity in the air at the time.

Arieyane Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:59pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:

When I have the ingredients dumped out onto the counter top - and start kneading it, I add a little poweder sugar, knead, more sugar, knead. I also keep scraping the counter top - keep the hard little bits that stick cleared off (I use a bench scraper to do this) I think it takes about 10 minutes to do this, again, I have never timed myself for sure. I just keep kneading until it is smooth.

I never dump the whole amount of sugar in at one time. Sometimes I will end up kneading in all of it sometimes there will be some left over, and there have been a time or two when I needed more than the recipe called for. It just depends on the humidity in the air at the time.

Thanks for your help. I just did a mmf cake over the weekend & i took your advice to let the fondent sit on the counter & not the fridge & I had a HUGE! difference!. it was awesome Im very pleased with the turn out & will be doing more in the future.

bates123 Posted 2 May 2010 , 1:39pm
post #12 of 12

are tylose and gum tex the same thing? I can't find tylose where I live, but I can find gum tex.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%