Ideas For Placing Toppers

Decorating By sweetcakes Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 8:35pm by KHalstead

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 4

The ceramic kind. Do you put a board ontop of the top tier or perhaps a gumpaste plaque for them to sit on? what ways do you secure them.? I have a fairly large cross, about 7" tall but only has a 2-3" base. Im thinking i will make a large gp plaque and somehow attach it to that. The cake is covered in buttercream. I would hate to see it fall over. There is not much weight to it, but with a small base that can still make a difference. should i put straws in for support?

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 4

If it's hollow, I put a skewer into the cake and leave it sticking up, then put the topper over the skewer. Otherwise, then a bunch of icing onto the base and wish everyone luck.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 4

thanks Leah. They should really make cake toppers with spikes, ones that could be removed after the fact. I expect i willhave to glue it down with icing too.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 4

the topper on this cake was huge! AND HEAVY!! I cut a piece of cardboard out the exact size of the base of the topper, and dowelled underneath the topper and then ran a rope of fondant around the topper (glued the rope w/ some water to the cake's fondant) It was nice and secure.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%