Ri Plaque On Buttercream Frosting

Decorating By sister340 Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 12:41am by tiggy2

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 7

I read that you shouldn't put a RI plaque on Buttercream icing as the buttercream will break down the plaque. It suggested placing it on sugar cubes to elevate it.
The plaque will go on a cake Thurs evening and not be eaten until Saturday.
Does anyone have experience with this? I'd hate to have the RI design "melt".
thanks;
j.

6 replies
jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 7

I'm sorry to tell you this as it's not the answer your are looking for, but if you place sugar cubes underneath the plaque you run the risk of them becomming too soft and your plaque would still be sitting on buttercream.

hockeymom5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hockeymom5 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 7

I did this a few years ago. I wouldn't put the plaque on until the day of. Or use a fondant base under the plaque.

sister340 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 7

Fondant base under plaque. I'm thinking about how you would do that. I'd really rather send this cake off completed, so if that would work, I'd like to try it. Second option is having to tell them how to remove the plaque from the wax paper and put on the cake closer to party. It could crack, cause them stress....................
I'm thinking cut a thin sheet of fondant the same shape as the plaque and put it on buttercream. Then use piping gel to adhere the plaque to the fondant? Can you explain how you'd do this?
j.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 7

You can also attache the plaque with melted chocolate and it wont be touching the BC. This is the method sugarshack uses.

sister340 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 7

Oh! Melted chocolate sounds easier, I could do that. Thinking: fragile plaque...........get it off the wax paper. Melted chocolate applied to back of it? Or drizzled on cake ................. Can you tell I have a lot to learn??
j.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 12:41am
post #7 of 7

A little melted chocolate applied to the back.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%