Side Swipe Beater Blade For Meringue Buttercream?

Decorating By allard Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 5:13pm by artscallion

allard Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 11:40am
post #1 of 17

I am thinking of investing in a silicone coated blade (like a beater blade or sideswipe) for my kitchen aid mixer to help with the bowl scraping when I am making cake batters and buttercream. anyone ever used these? they are pricey, so I was curious about how they worked before I shelled out the $30.

16 replies
PattyT Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 12:13pm
post #2 of 17

Love, love, love my Beater Blade.

Yes, it's great for SMBC (after switching out the whisk from beating the whites).

I even bought a second one for days when I have lots going on. One working away, while I'm washing up the other!

afunk Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 17

I've been curious about this also, but I don't know anyone that has one. Opinions from other CC'ers would be great.

victoriacakery Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 12:43pm
post #4 of 17

I love mine as well. I also purchased a second one as a back-up. Nicholas Lodge had a good suggestion, before using it the first time, fill the bowl with boiling water and run the mixer with the blade for a few minutes. It helps with forming the blade to the bowl.

xinue Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 17

I loooooove mine! it's really usefull and time saving

allard Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 17

Thank you so much. I am going to try it!

Lipsmacker Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:33pm
post #7 of 17

The Sideswipe is great because it has all those fins that clean the bowl AND help mix it faster. Its like having a bunch of mini beaters in there. COOK'S ILLUSTRATED liked the Sideswipe best. I love mine and so do my friends! I given out so many for gifts.

rosiecast Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:37pm
post #8 of 17

I want one so bad. Will it work on the KA 6qt?

Lipsmacker Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:40pm
post #9 of 17

YEP! There are three different models. Check it out on Amazon. The site tells you what size. I got mine there because shipping was free from Amazon.

rosiecast Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:40pm
post #10 of 17

AbouttheCake Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 12:04am
post #11 of 17

I have the Beater Blade which is similar and absolutely love love love it. I actually have 2. Prefer the model for the lift bowl, but still really love both.

Lipsmacker Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 5:22am
post #12 of 17

I feel the same about my SideSwipe. So do my Mom and sister and best friend. Look up the Cook's Illustrated article. When I read that, I made my decision and didn't go wrong!

Calgary_Mama Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 8:33am
post #13 of 17

is there a difference between the "sideswipe" and the "beater blade"? I could'nt find the side swipe on amazon...

I have the bowl lift kitchen aid professional series. which would be better?

Lipsmacker Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 12:23pm
post #14 of 17

You either need the KLN or the KLW. Depend on your exact stand mixer model. The company also has a web site. There are dimensions there to help.

And YES there is a difference. Thre Sideswipe has a number of fins that really help make fluffy batter fluffier and creamier even creamier. Read about it on their website.

pattycakesnj Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:27pm
post #15 of 17

have beater blades, 2 in fact, one home and one at shop, and love it. Did I mention I love it.

artscallion Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:16pm
post #16 of 17

Just got my sideswipe today for my 6qt pro KA. Tried it on a butter cake. So both creaming and gentle mixing were involved. Results:

1. The blade is much sturdier than I expected. Some of these gimmicky gadgets are so cheaply made. Not the Sideswipe.

2. I was AMAZED at how quickly my butter/sugar creamed. Normally I cream for about 5 to 7 minutes, stopping to scrape now and then to get it to the right consistency. The Sideswipe had the job done in 3 minutes!

3. It absolutely works as advertised. The angled tabs both beat the mixture AND move it down. My mixture stayed in a neat little pile at the bottom with absolutely clean bowl sides. I normally hate creaming when the mixture ends up riding all the way up the sides of the bowl, coating the whole bowl in a thin layer. Unless I constantly scraped it down, I never felt like it was being optimally mixed.

4. Worked well on low speed for mixing in the flour later. Though I usually only gives the mixer a few turns once the flour is in, usually taking the bowl off and finishing by hand.

5. Cakes in the oven now. A tried and true recipe that always gives me good results. I'll report back in a few days
after it's eaten.

I'll be testing buttercream later. It'll be interesting to see how much air gets incorporated into it with those little tabs. But so far, I LOVE IT!

artscallion Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 5:13pm
post #17 of 17

Cakes appear to have baked up as nicely as always.
Buttercream...not so much. I used Indydeb's recipe. And, as I feared, the beater incorporated to much air in. It wasn't light. it was peppered with bubbles. Anyone else have experience with the Sideswipe and buttercream? With Indydeb's or other recipes? Opinions...

Quote by @%username% on %date%