Dry Crusty Looking Fondant....help!

Decorating By cakeaddikt Updated 13 Mar 2010 , 4:07am by DetailsByDawn

cakeaddikt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddikt Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 5:13am
post #1 of 9

After I have finished a cake I notice my fondant looks dry and crusty at times. I have tried to wipe with shortening to give it some shine but it doesnt help much. I try not to use too much confectioners sugar when rolling out so that it wont look so bad. This happens when I use MMF or Satin Ice. Any suggestions??

8 replies
DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:11am
post #2 of 9

Have you tried steaming? Just lightly with a clothing steamer - it does wonders!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 9

When I am rolling fondant for covering a cake, I use a small amount of shortning on the mat instead of p/s or cornstarch. It makes the fondant nice and supple, and NO dry spots. As I am rolling, the first few rolls, I lift the fondant and move it to make sure it isn't sticking at all. I use a vinyl mat (from Joanns - heavy guage) I have heard those that use the silicone mats don't really need to use anything. (??)

cakeaddikt Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks!!! I will try both suggestions...Where is a good place to purchase a clothing steamer?

DetailsByDawn Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 9

Walmart carries them. I can't work with fondant unless my counter is covered in cornstarch - The steamer gets it all off and makes the fondant and decorations slightly shiny too. A portable one for travel is a good idea, as it's easier to manuver.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 9

If you don't want it to be shiney I have read that using everclear with a paintbrush all over the cake will take the dusty look off too. (I have not done it though)

Steaming it will make it VERY shiney (check out Cake Boss - Buddy steams a lot of his cakes)

DetailsByDawn Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

If you don't want it to be shiney I have read that using everclear with a paintbrush all over the cake will take the dusty look off too. (I have not done it though)

Steaming it will make it VERY shiney (check out Cake Boss - Buddy steams a lot of his cakes)

Actually, I don't find them that shiney after steaming. I think you're seeing Buddy's cakes as he's steaming, or directly after - They're really shiney then. After the mist dries, they're just slightly shiney. It's a wonderful way to set colours and luster and get rid of all that ps or cornstarch residue. I know the everclear evaporates, but I would still be hesitant to use that much all over a cake - especially a kid's cake, which is mostly what I do.

cakeaddikt Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:30am
post #8 of 9

I bought my steamer yesterday, so I should be ok now. I always see Buddy steam his cakes, I should have bought a steamer a long time ago! Thanks!!!

DetailsByDawn Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:07am
post #9 of 9

Good luck! Hope it works for you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%