Last Min Request (For Monday) Small Wedding Cake Ideas

Decorating By LeckieAnne Updated 16 Mar 2010 , 8:01pm by LeckieAnne

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:31am
post #1 of 28

Nice lady I work with - her son is getting married on Monday - they didn't order any cake. She knows I make cakes sometimes and asked if I could do something, it'll be a surprise. But I'm at a loss for ideas.

There will only be 10 people (6 of them are kids) - so it only will be one tier - no topper - she asked for all white - no flowers - no fondant.

I'm not totally incompetent, but my buttercream piping skills aren't that great. I've been pouring through every book I have, and just went through 200 pages of cakes on here! The ones I see that I think I can do - would be totally blank on top?! Just thought maybe someone who saw this might have something in the back of their mind that would point me in a direction.

Thanks!

27 replies
gramofgwen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramofgwen Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:41am
post #2 of 28

What about cutting out white fondant circles of different sizes, dusting them with pearl dust so they pop, and scattering them on the cake? You could also make some kind of fondant bow for the top.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:48am
post #3 of 28

How about a heart shaped cake....ice smooth in buttercream....then do like a cornelli lace all over the entire cake except...use a heart cutter to mark a heart in the center...keep that iced smooth (no lace) and then a pretty little piped bead border around it...and maybe put their monogram in that spot. The rest of the cake would be cornelli lace and then a nice border around the bottom.

If you can do a faux fondant buttercream (smoothed really nice) so that the top edges are rounded like fondant you can carry the lace easily over the sides.

Maybe even a light spray of pearl dust over the entire cake.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:53am
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

How about a heart shaped cake....ice smooth in buttercream....then do like a cornelli lace all over the entire cake except...use a heart cutter to mark a heart in the center...keep that iced smooth (no lace) and then a pretty little piped bead border around it...and maybe put their monogram in that spot. The rest of the cake would be cornelli lace and then a nice border around the bottom.

If you can do a faux fondant buttercream (smoothed really nice) so that the top edges are rounded like fondant you can carry the lace easily over the sides.

Maybe even a light spray of pearl dust over the entire cake.

That sounds beautiful!

LeckieAnne Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 5:05am
post #5 of 28

Kitagirl - that does sound beautiful! Except I don't have a heart shaped pan. I'll have to see if I can find one in town because I don't have time to order one.

gramofgwen - I'll run the dots by her - that does sound cute. I have some gumpaste and I could make a the bow for sure. I'm not sure I can get pearl dust here in town either, though. My Michael's sells Wilton stuff, maybe they'll have some?

Thanks, guys, for the ideas.

Kitagrl Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:53pm
post #6 of 28

You could maybe do it with a round pan and then make the heart shape in the middle with a cutter....

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:02pm
post #7 of 28

You can make a heart with a square pan and a round pan.

Set the square cake on the board with a point pointing down. Cut the round cake into two halves. Jam those onto the sides of the square.

That's the way we made heart cakes in the olden days.

Kitagrl Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

You can make a heart with a square pan and a round pan.

Set the square cake on the board with a point pointing down. Cut the round cake into two halves. Jam those onto the sides of the square.

That's the way we made heart cakes in the olden days.

Oh come on Leah, I don't see any grey hair in that nice profile pic of yours. icon_lol.gif

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:40pm
post #9 of 28

I would do a tall (3layer) cake. Ice it smooth with bc, and place a white or silver ribbon around top third, and place a brooch or deco, this could even be made of gp and painted.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:03pm
post #10 of 28

What about a six inch cake and a four inch cake. Still small enough for the family?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:03pm
post #11 of 28

here is a little mini wedding cake I did for a bride who's cake collapsed (woops)...I made it to try to reconcile with her for her 1 yr. anniversary ( I felt so bad)

Anyhow, it was a miniature replica of her cake.

I used a 6",5",4",3" cakes stacked. It honestly wasn't that hard to make.

Maybe you could do a simple little 6",8" cake (I know that's more than 10 servings, but it's still a nice little cake and not hard to fuss with icing) in this design (minus the top flower)

It's all buttercream and super simple. I just bent a round metal cookie cutter into a spiral shape (snipped one edge of it first) and impressed it in the icing and then piped over the lines!
LL

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:09pm
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I used a 6",5",4",3" cakes stacked.

may be a stupid question, but where did you find the sizes smaller than 6? i'm very limited in my area on supply stores the best one is about 2 hours away. I have little 4" wilton puts out that i picked up at michaels but that's it

shapeacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shapeacake Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:26pm
post #13 of 28

LeckieAnne - you can also "make" your own heart-shaped (or any-shaped) pan if you can buy or if you already have sushi mats, aluminum foil, and wood cutters. See http://www.custom-cake.com/cake-shaping-strips.html .

l80bug79 - Amazon seems to have small round cake pans if you have time to order them.

julzs71 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:46pm
post #14 of 28

now that is just genius.

LeckieAnne Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:53pm
post #15 of 28

Wow - that thing with the sushi mats is way cool! Now - where to get my hands on those!

You all are the best! Thanks for all the ideas - now I just have to pick one!!

And. oh yeah, Leah - duh. Never thought about cutting the two cakes! (Olden days! giggle) And I knew that! Sometimes my brain just decides to stop working! LOL

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:54pm
post #16 of 28

You can bake a cake on a sheet pan or jelly roll pan and use smaller round or square cookie cutters to cut layers for smaller tiers or mini cakes.

KHalstead Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:36pm
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by l80bug79

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I used a 6",5",4",3" cakes stacked.

may be a stupid question, but where did you find the sizes smaller than 6? i'm very limited in my area on supply stores the best one is about 2 hours away. I have little 4" wilton puts out that i picked up at michaels but that's it

I actually ordered them online, the pans I have are "fat daddios" brand.

Hth

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 5:41pm
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttehan4

You can bake a cake on a sheet pan or jelly roll pan and use smaller round or square cookie cutters to cut layers for smaller tiers or mini cakes.

you know, for some reason i never thought of that.

i'll have to check amazon and my supply store catalog for the fat daddios. i wish more companies would publish catalogs, but i understand the cost involved and updating for new stuff. i'm just a catalog flipper. icon_smile.gif

julzs71 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:36pm
post #19 of 28

For smaller cakes I usually just start measuring cans and use those.

Cake-makerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:46am
post #21 of 28

Well, in case anyone's interested... I talked to her again - and she said she really just wanted a one layer "wedding-y looking cake". So I said like scrolls and swags? Yup she says.

So after poking around forever for ideas, here's what I came up with.

Thanks again for ideas! I'll keep these in mind if I get asked again!
LL
LL

julzs71 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 9:47am
post #22 of 28

very nice

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:41am
post #23 of 28

Well, I think your buttercream piping skills are great! It's a beautiful cake thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Cake-makerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-makerz Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:05pm
post #24 of 28

Wow lovely !!!!! icon_smile.gif

You did a GREAT job thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:14pm
post #25 of 28

very cool, looks so classy and almost victorian looking.....very pretty!!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:27pm
post #26 of 28

Very nice job! icon_smile.gif I am sure they will love it!

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:56pm
post #27 of 28

Wow, seriously? You said your piping skills weren't all that great or something along those lines. You're crazy! icon_lol.gif That is an excellent piping job on that cake. Very wedding-y and I am sure she was thrilled. icon_biggrin.gif

LeckieAnne Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 8:01pm
post #28 of 28

Thanks! I haven't heard back from them yet to know what they thought. I was pretty pleased. It was actually not too tough once I spent the time to get the cake all divided and marked properly before I started. I actually frosted a dummy cake and practiced a couple of days before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%