Need Your Opinion On This Wedding Cake Design.

Decorating By GL79 Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 4:37am by tesso

GL79 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:21am
post #1 of 21

Ok, so I'm making my sister's wedding cake, and here's a sketch of what I came up with. What I need to know is:
-Is there too much going on with my design. (make it more simple, ex: don't add fondant stripes and pearls)
-Is it okay to make the 2nd tier taller than 4 inches?
-I added a second option for the top (either the roses with daisies or a dome tier covered in daisies) which looks better?
-The Glass seperating the top tier and 3rd tier is 8 inches tall.
-The tiers are going to be round, I have the 8, 9, 10 and 14 inch. I was thinking of buying the 12 inch. I want to use 14, 12, 10 and the top I'm not sure yet. Which size of pans would look best? The servings doesn't matter, whichever I use will give me over 100 servings and that's what I want as long as it's over 100.
Sorry it's so long, but I want to make sure that I have the correct pan sizes and I don't overspend. Thanks for your input.

20 replies
GL79 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 21

Opinions anyone?

Loucinda Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 21

This is just my opinion, I am not sure I would do the stripes with the fondant pleating at the bottom. UNLESS you are doing them like white on white and maybe painting the stripes with pearl??

JenniferMI on here has directions on how to make sugar vases on her newest DVD - that would really be cool on there too! icon_wink.gif

They are lucky folks - it will be beautiful!

Mug-a-Bug Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 21

Can't wait to see the picture of this one!! I think your design is perfect! I think you should do some flowers sticking up (like on the left side of your drawing) vs. the daisy covered half-ball. I think it will give it some taller dimension. LOVE the glass in the middle. Good luck! Don't change a thing.

Bettycrockermommy Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 21

I think that your sister is a lucky girl. I agree with Loucinda about the stripes. I think that the pearl stripes would look great with the pleats on the bottom. Also, I think that I would go with the 10-12-14 and use an 8 inch round on top of the vase. I love the idea of roses and daisies mixed on the top. Can't wait to see this cake!!

GL79 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

This is just my opinion, I am not sure I would do the stripes with the fondant pleating at the bottom. UNLESS you are doing them like white on white and maybe painting the stripes with pearl??

JenniferMI on here has directions on how to make sugar vases on her newest DVD - that would really be cool on there too! icon_wink.gif

They are lucky folks - it will be beautiful!

Opps I forgot to mention, it will be all white, and I want to make the pleats and stripes pearl.

Bluehue Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL79

Ok, so I'm making my sister's wedding cake, and here's a sketch of what I came up with. What I need to know is:
-Is there too much going on with my design. (make it more simple, ex: don't add fondant stripes and pearls)
As long as it is done in pastels or creams/ivory/whites i think it will look stunning.

What height will the bottom tier and third tiers be?

-I added a second option for the top (either the roses with daisies or a dome tier covered in daisies) which looks better?
For me - the Roses and daisies - loose the dome - as it could make your whole cake come to an *abrupt end* - whereas the Roses and Daises give that softer lighter look considering the height of the whole cake.-

The Glass seperating the top tier and 3rd tier is 8 inches tall.
Stunning idea.

-The tiers are going to be round, I have the 8, 9, 10 and 14 inch.
Hmmmm, this could look very *crowded* thumbsdown.gif

I was thinking of buying the 12 inch. I want to use 14, 12, 10 and the top I'm not sure yet.

thumbs_up.gif Yes, this is a far better size option to go with thumbs_up.gif

Which size of pans would look best?
The 2nd option. thumbs_up.gif

The servings doesn't matter, whichever I use will give me over 100 servings and that's what I want as long as it's over 100.
Sorry it's so long, but I want to make sure that I have the correct pan sizes and I don't overspend. Thanks for your input.

icon_smile.gif Your design is wonderful - and something that will surely stand out as *that wedding cake*
If done is soft colours then the Glass Vase will not look out of place but instead not only add height but light in around the cake - excellant idea....
Without taking away from your pleats/stripes and pearls -

Look forward to seeing this masterpiece completed and a picture posted here.

Bluehue.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:01pm
post #8 of 21

OH, for sizes, I think you should do 14-12-10 and the top either 8 or 6. You should have at least 2 inches difference between each tier, 4 looks even better IMO. icon_rolleyes.gif

CookieD-oh Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:02pm
post #9 of 21

I think it's beautiful! I love the way you've done the topper with the roses and the daisies.

GL79 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:06pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Quote:

What height will the bottom tier and third tiers be?

icon_smile.gif Your design is wonderful - and something that will surely stand out as *that wedding cake*
If done is soft colours then the Glass Vase will not look out of place but instead not only add height but light in around the cake - excellant idea....
Without taking away from your pleats/stripes and pearls -

Look forward to seeing this masterpiece completed and a picture posted here.

Bluehue.

I was thinking of making the bottom tier and the 3rd tier 4 inches tall/each and the 2nd tier around 6 to 7 inches.

tesso Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:08pm
post #11 of 21

I think the design is great. I cant wait to see this cake made. I also agree that you dont want to use a dome flower top. it would stump the cake.

so the roses and daisy's are white too? are they real or gumpaste? If they are real I just wanted you to know that Washington white roses are a more pure white, then some. incase you want to go with a really white theme it will make your daisy's have a little white contrast against the roses but not too much. Daisy's are so white that they can make white roses look almost cream/buttery colored. just somthing i though you might like to know.

GL79 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:09pm
post #12 of 21

Opps I was trying to post a reply after Bluehue's comment, but for some reason it posted within her reply.
What I was thinking is that I want to make the bottom and third tier 4 inches and the second tier around 6 to 7 inches.

tonedna Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:13pm
post #13 of 21

I think the sizes is what bothers me a bit.
I would do a 14, 12,8, 6.

If you do stripes I would pearl them, then again if you pearl the stripes the skirt
at the bottom would look best pearled too.

I love daisies, but in my opinion. The skirt look is a very elegant choice. Daisies are more
informal. But then again, that's only my opinion.

I think the design is really beautiful
Edna icon_smile.gif

GL79 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:39pm
post #14 of 21

Ok I think I have everything down and know exactly what I'm going to do.

Thanks "tesso" for the tip on the types of roses to buy, that really helps.

And thanks to everyone else for your tips, this really helps and I'll definetly post a picture when I'm done

You guys are the best!!!!!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Bluehue Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:39pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:

Opps I was trying to post a reply after Bluehue's comment, but for some reason it posted within her reply.
What I was thinking is that I want to make the bottom and third tier 4 inches and the second tier around 6 to 7 inches.

Yes, i understand and think that as the tiers get higher a more slender look will be achieved - which will surely off set the Glass Vase.
I think the *whispieness* of the flowers on the top tier will certainly soften the whole effect and look very soft and feminine.

I just read where you will be making it in all white with the pearl effect -
Excellant. Its amazing how just adding that pearl look can change the whole look of a cake -

Hope you keep us updated on the creating of this cake. thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue.

Cake-makerz Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:10pm
post #16 of 21

I think your design is very good. Don't use the daisies, it's a great design !

Loucinda Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:36pm
post #17 of 21

I can't wait to see the finished product, it is going to be gorgeous!!! When is the wedding?

GL79 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 8:30pm
post #18 of 21

It's on March 20th

Mug-a-Bug Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 11:56pm
post #19 of 21

I can't wait to see the pic!!!

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 1:12am
post #20 of 21

I'm anxious to see these pictures!!

tesso Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:37am
post #21 of 21

oh just wanted you to know that washington whites are also known as POLO roses.

(some florists depending upon area have different names..for different plants/flowers .. can you tell i worked in florist shop icon_biggrin.gif LOL..)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%