Advice On How To Do This Swag

Decorating By ajmccray Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 3:34pm by Mug-a-Bug

ajmccray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajmccray Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:04am
post #1 of 7

I am doing a princess cake and have decided to try to do the type of swag that is shown in the picture attached. I'll be doing the cake in buttercream. Unfortunately I'm not sure where I saved this pic from, whether it was from here or google images so I can't ask the creator. Is it best to roll the fondant out thin to do this or should it be thicker? I guess I'm still unsure as to when to roll fondant to certain thicknesses. Any other advice for this is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Angela
LL

6 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:21am
post #2 of 7

I would roll it 1/4" and lay skewers under it when picking it up. That places the pleats. Then take it and put it in place.

Hope this helps

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:23am
post #3 of 7

You can buy a mold to do it and then they all come out exactly the same. You can do it without, just roll out the fondant, cut a rectangle and use wooden skewers to make the pleats (alternate putting one under, then one on top), then pinch the ends and attach to the cake. I did this one with the wooden skewers.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:27am
post #4 of 7

Actually, is best to roll it thinner. A thick swag is too heavy and not only it's difficult to shape, it can fall down.

Edna icon_smile.gif

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 12:47am
post #5 of 7

To me, this swag looks like it was a mold.

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 7

You can do it freehand. Just roll the dough out thin and you dowel rods to make the folds more precise.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 3:34pm
post #7 of 7

There is a tutorial on this website. Click the articles tab and then type 'swag'. They are pretty easy, just take practice like anything else.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%