Edible Image System Feedback

Decorating By Lorabell Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 3:09am by Kitagrl

Lorabell Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:39am
post #1 of 5

Hey guys,

Does anyone here on CC own an edible image system? I am considering investing, but would love some advice from those wiser than myself.

Thanks
Lori

4 replies
Kitagrl Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:59am
post #2 of 5

Most people like them but I had to retire mine. I had it for awhile and while it was great when I needed it..it was alot of upkeep. I didn't end up removing the inks (forgot to save the caps) when I wasn't using it and didn't run through paper regularly and so my ink started leaking and messing up and drying up...ruined the print heads...so now I can't use it anymore and I just go to the grocery store and smile real nice and ask them to print me a picture! Its not as nice of quality as I got at home but it works for now.

Plus the inks were SO expensive and if one dried out or got messed up I would have to buy it again....anyway I just felt it was way too much upkeep and cost just to use it once in awhile for some gumpaste plaques or accents.

If you are going to use it weekly I'd say its a great investment.

weirkd Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:01am
post #3 of 5

I bought an Epson all in one scanner/printer system solely for printing edible images. I bought the edible ink which costs something like $75. I kept having problems with my printer telling me that the ink was out. THere is some kind of chip they say that is suppose to stop this and others say you dont need it. I didnt print another image for over a month and it clogged up the jets. I tried to use it as a real printer instead and it printed about three pieces of paper and then told me the ink was out again! So needless to say, I would not buy the Epson again! Even though I got the printer on sale at Target for $30, after buying all the ink, wafer paper it really didnt seem to be worth it in the long run. Unless you know that you would use something like this constantly, I think its easier to get someone to print it out for you (like grocery store, CC member or an online retailer).
Im sure some other people have had positive things with it, maybe a Canon printer would be better. But for me, since I didnt use it much, I think I wouldnt of bought it if I'd known.

GrandmaG Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:06am
post #4 of 5

I have an Epson but the next time I will get a Canon. You can remove the print heads with the Canons and clean them and you can't with the Epsons. Since the edible ink is water based it clogs the print heads easily and when you use the cleaner option it uses a bunch of your ink. Actually the tech at Kopykake told me not to use the edible ink to clean them but to put actual ink in to clean it which is quite controversial because it may not be food safe. I still enjoy having one though. It's nice to be able to print when you want to and not run out to the store to buy them.

Kitagrl Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:09am
post #5 of 5

I had a Canon and yeah it kept telling me the ink was out....the worst thing is my black ink bled into my yellow and all but ruined the way it printed.

Not sure if I can replace the print head and start over again but it would cost over $100 just to rebuy all the ink and mess with the print head and I"m just not needing it often enough to re invest that.

Now my airbrush I can't live without!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%