Determining Cake Sizes For A Wedding Cake 650 Guests

Decorating By fabray13 Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 12:55am by fabray13

fabray13 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:03am
post #1 of 8

hello. can anyone please help me in determining the cake sizes i will need for a wedding cake for 650 guests? yikes! i am totally lost. i have heard that i need to actually only account for less guests due to not everyone eating cake. i tried searching the forums, but couldnt come up with anything. the bride wants square cakes. would really appreciate any ideas and help!

7 replies
indydebi Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:52am
post #2 of 8

First, is the 650 the total number invited or the number the bride is expecting? If she INVITED 650 people, then Debi's 60% Rule would say that she can reasonably expect to see about 400 attend. (650 x .6).

If you can get ahold of some old, hardback wilton books, they have a number of cakes that serve over 500. Using squares will make it easier for you. (The yellow one is really awesome. You may not prefer the older designs, but the set-ups will give you great ideas.)

For example: Bake four 2-layer 10" cakes and set them in one big square. You'll have a 2-layer 20"x20" base cake. When cut in 1x2x4" pieces, this will yield 200 pieces just in the base. If you use 12" squares, you have a 24" base, which will yield 288 servings. Then start building your tiered cake on top of that.

I envy you getting to make a cake this big! I LUV working on big cakes! Not for the money (which is a nice plus!) but for the excitement of creating a large sugary masterpiece!!!

jammjenks Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:54am
post #3 of 8

I just love ginormous cakes!

Check out this thread. Maybe it will help you a bit.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-664775-0.html

iamcakin Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:59am
post #4 of 8

You got great info from Debi - as usual.

One thing you need to think about if you haven't, is how you will get the cake(s) to the venue. Transporting large can be quite a challenge! Be sure to look into SPS.

indydebi Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:03am
post #5 of 8

And measure your doorways, your car door entries (for a cake like this, I'd add in the charge for renting a nice van, if you don't already own one) and the venue doors. Round up a couple of STRONG guys to help carry this. Get a flat bed hand truck to roll it into the venue. Some definite extra labor charges involved in this one.

iamcakin Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:08am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

And measure your doorways, your car door entries (for a cake like this, I'd add in the charge for renting a nice van, if you don't already own one) and the venue doors. Round up a couple of STRONG guys to help carry this. Get a flat bed hand truck to roll it into the venue. Some definite extra labor charges involved in this one.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

leah_s Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:12am
post #7 of 8

When going that big, I frequently do a large square the way debi described, then add round cakes cut in half, butted up to the sides of the square. It produced a flower-ish/star-ish shape that's really pretty.

And seriously, use SPS for support.

fabray13 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 12:55am
post #8 of 8

thank you all so much! wow lots to think about and lots to prepare for!!! i couldnt even sleep last night just thinking about it!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%