In Need Of A Wow! Dessert

Lounge By scratchdog Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 8:26am by Sagebrush

scratchdog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scratchdog Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 23

Hi, I would like to bring dessert to my brother's house for easter. I want to wow everyone. Any ideas, does not necessarily need to be themed or a cake, can be - but not necessary, something yummy and wow! thanks icon_eek.gif

22 replies
Sox-n-Pats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sox-n-Pats Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 23

For a get together a little bit ago, I made chocolate cheese cake and put it in chocolate cups- so easy, but looked really cool with chocolate shavings on top!

To do the chocolate cups i melted chocolate and the brushed the inside of the tinfoil cupcake wrappers. Then let them harden. I chilled them before pealing the paper off- just because it was easier since the warmth of my hands would make the chocolate softer. Then I chilled them while I made a no bake chocolate cheese cake recipe.

(I'm at work and don't have the recipe on me... but I'll post later if you want)

Then I just spooned the cheese cake in each cup- chilled; then topped with a bit of whipped cream and some shaved chocolate.

It looked so cool, and fancy, but was really simple.

BarbRaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbRaz Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 12:09am
post #3 of 23

I make a similar dessert, but I paint the chocolate inside very small paper bags, put them in the freezer, peel the paper off and fill with Irish Cream Mousse. I garnish it with an assortment of berries and everyone loves it! Let me know if you would like the Irish Cream Mousse recipe.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 12:15am
post #4 of 23

Rice crispy treats always go over big during the hollidays.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:11am
post #5 of 23

What about making your own cream filled choc Easte eggs and putting them in a little cup on green grass (piped) or on cupcakes? I saw a few posts on here re: how to do the eggs.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:26am
post #6 of 23
PumpkinTart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PumpkinTart Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:29am
post #7 of 23

Nutella and banana napoleons! Just get some frozen puff pastry and nutella and carmelize some bananas-very easy to assemble. YUM!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 7:41am
post #9 of 23

My favorite recent dessert find is called Luscious Almond Cheesecake. It was In a magazine of prize winning recipes from Taste of Home. If you like almond flavor at all, I honestly think it is a much better match for the cream cheese than the traditional lemon. I'd be happy to copy it for you if it's something you're interested in.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:42pm
post #10 of 23

I always think those cake ball topiaries look really cool and especially if there are lots of people gathered together!

Maybe I'm just dying to make one LOL

Joanne1944 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne1944 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:54pm
post #11 of 23

My sister made a wonderful trifle. Bottom was crumbled brownies mixed with chocolate pudding, crushed head bar sprinkled over, then a layer of cool whip and reserved crumbled brownies sprinkled on top. She make it in advance and served it in a footed glass pedestal bowl. Looked awesome and tasted even better. She said she didn't have a specific recipe..

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:22pm
post #12 of 23

I'm a cheese cake fan myself. And since you can dress them up with fruit and other toppings you can really make it special. icon_smile.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 5:18pm
post #13 of 23

I'm with Joanne1944-I love trifles, and they're a great way to use leftover cake. They are also very pretty and make a great centerpiece.

A lemony, strawberry, blueberry one would be very Spring-ish.

I also have a great recipe for a turtle trifle that uses a store-bought pecan pie, with lots of whipped cream and caramel sauce so it's quick and very, very rich tasting. (And just so you know, that's the only time I buy a pecan pie-home made tastes much better!)

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 5:57pm
post #14 of 23

Another thing I like to make this time of year is lemon bars. There is a glazed lemon shortbread I have made too that was oh so yummy and very springy.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 9:30pm
post #15 of 23

I love cheesecake as well, I can not eat it, just a bite but they are very versatile. I made a plain one with honey crust not too long ago that was delicious. I also like the trifle idea, I think they look so pretty. That was not much help was it!?

Ohh, how about a tiramisu?

stacylambert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacylambert Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 11:42pm
post #16 of 23

It's not the fanciest dessert, but my whole family loves strawberry pretzel salad. It's always the first thing gone. There are several recipes around for it, but here's the one I use:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Judys-Strawberry-Pretzel-Salad/Detail.aspx

I've been known to double the cream cheese layer, though! icon_redface.gif

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 12:47am
post #17 of 23

We make a dessert at our bakery that is always a hit for a showstopper look and tastes yummy.

A chocolate fudge cake iced with chocolate buttercream, chocolate ganache over the top and drizzled down the sides, Chocolate buttercream rosettes on top and then we make shards of milk chocolate and poke them out of the top of the cake.

We call it a chocolate explosion cake

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:23am
post #18 of 23

Strawberry Tiramisu

It's like a cross between tiramisu and strawberry shortcake! Omit the espress/coffee liqueur. Macerate sliced strawberries in a bit of sugar, juice of a fresh squeezed orange and a bit of orange liqueur (such as Grand Marnier). Strain the berries and use the juices that come from the macerated berries to brush the lady fingers. Layer the berries and the mascarpone custard with the lady fingers. Use the zest from the orange to make orange whipped cream to top.

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 1:27pm
post #19 of 23

yummy the strawberry tiramisu sound great!! Gonna file that idea in my brain for the future! icon_biggrin.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:21pm
post #20 of 23

Ok, easiest cake ever....take a loaf baked pound cake (lemon is especially good) and slice it into three layers. Now spread each layer with whipped cream, slice fresh berries on top of the whipped cream. Now reassemble the layers into the loaf shape. Now "frost" the entire thing with whipped cream and freeze for 30 mins before taking to the party. When you get to the party, if it's going to be a long time before serving then put it back into the freezer till about 30 mins before serving...if you will be eating right away then leave it in the fridge. Now slice into 1 inch slices...like bread...and the layered berries, cake and whipped cream make a wonderful presentation..and are SOOOO good!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 7:10pm
post #21 of 23

My favorite cheesecake combo is lemon cheesecake in a gingersnap crust topped with lemon curd and blueberry sauce (like blueberry pie filling).

scratchdog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scratchdog Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:54am
post #22 of 23

Hi there, I was thinking of making the easter cake with the m and m's on top surrounded by kit kats what is everyones favorite cake recipe? I have never done a red velvet cake so I thought of trying that is there a good recipe you recommend?

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:26am
post #23 of 23

scratchdog... that style of cake should work with any cake you want to make. I made one last year using a cake a friend of mine had made in crappy pans from a non-doctored cake mix. The cake was not handled gently after baking, so it was kind of an issue to frost it before decorating it, but I was still able to make it work (it just took a lot of TLC). The actual decorating was pretty fast and easy.

As far as cake recipes that I personally like...

White Almond Sour Cream (WASC) cake is an extremely popular recipe that is posted in the recipe section of this site. There's also a document somewhere in the forums here that lists all sorts of variations people have made to gourmet up the WASC cake.

For a chocolate option, my husband really liked the Amazing chocolate WASC cake that I made around Thanksgiving. I paired it with the chocolate hazlenut buttercream that uses Nutella... both recipes can also be found in the recipe section on this site.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%