Cancelling The Wedding Cake 2 Weeks Before The Wedding?

Decorating By CakeMakeratheart Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 4:23pm by TexasSugar

CakeMakeratheart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakeratheart Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 12

Ok, so I just got a call from a bride's sister frantically looking/begging for someone to do a wedding cake for March 27th!

Evidentally a girl that was on a cake challenge show on food network or something was to do the cake and cancelled on them without reason.

story that was given to me was that bride called to check on status of cake order today and was told "there is no cake being made for you"...the baker offered to make the cake because she knew them through the grapevine somehow and offered to do it for free.....but then decided not to fulfill the order.

I realize I'm getting one side of the story but it seems insane to me that there are bakers out there who will cancel with such short notice because "they don't feel like it afterall" (that's the reason given, or so I'm told)

I feel so bad for them, and agreed to do the cake for my regular price (though I think they'd have paid anything at this point)

Even wally world told them it was "too short of notice"

who knew it took over 2 weeks to come up with a frozen cake?????

anyhow, just curious how many of you have had calls like this where another baker bailed out on the bride?? this isn't the first one i've had, that's the reason I ask!! sSeems so crude to do!!

11 replies
iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 12:34am
post #2 of 12

I had it happen once. I was not booked for the weekend and was able to do her cake.

Yes, it IS rude, unprofessional, and very bad business practice.

If you think comments about "dry" cake get around...just cancel a cake order. I'd be surprised if that baker wasn't out of business before long! They certainly should be - IMHO tapedshut.gif .

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 12:54am
post #3 of 12

I agree, I've had calls like this too and I just couldn't imagine doing this to a bride. I mean, I would completely understand if the baker had some sort of family emergency but to just "not feel like it" (which seems to be the case)............sooooo mean!!

I had a lady call for a tiered birthday cake the night before the party, I had to downscale it to a single cake with cupcakes because I was already OVERbooked....but the lady that WAS doing the cake said that she didn't feel like she was "up to the task" when it came time to make it!! I told the lady ordering that the cake should have been already well underway by now (8 pm, day before the party).....I'm thinking the baker took an order for a cake she wasn't "capable" of making!!1

The lady ordering was like "she had beautiful cake photos, I'm not sure what the problem is" I was thinking.................yeah, bet they weren't HER photos!!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:16am
post #4 of 12

this is so not cake related, but a friend of mine has been getting her nails done at the same place for years now. She has a standing appointment with them every two weeks I believe. But a few months ago she pulled up for her usual fill and found the shop closed! They never warned her at all!!!! You'd think you would of had some idea that your business was going to close two weeks ahead of time at least so you can give your regulars a heads up.

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:16am
post #5 of 12

I have had several brides contact me that have been dumped by a cake decorator. I am always blown away when I hear that.

I have worked through a graduation week while my oldest was 5 and in the hospital for 5 days. My mom stayed with her till i finished my orders. But I hada made a commitment to them and couldn't bail. She was ok just needed iv antibiotics.

manahigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manahigh Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:24am
post #6 of 12

Well just to be fair, since we don't know the whole story - how many times has someone on CC been advised to drop a customer within two weeks of the event because they had failed to get the deposit or paid in full money?
Just saying, lets be fair to our fellow cakers.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:42am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by manahigh

Well just to be fair, since we don't know the whole story - how many times has someone on CC been advised to drop a customer within two weeks of the event because they had failed to get the deposit or paid in full money?
Just saying, lets be fair to our fellow cakers.

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder what the heck this girl did to p*** off her decorator soo much that her cake order was cancelled. I'd get full payment upfront before you turn on your oven.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:32am
post #8 of 12

And just to be devil's advocate... what if this bride had just thought she wanted this caker to make the cake and decided to place the order two weeks before had. I've had that one too. People come in for a tasting and think that they've somehow secured the date with no deposit.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:14am
post #9 of 12

The lady that suppose to make the cake was on a cake challenge show for Food Network? Sounds to me like she is a professional. She was a friend of a friend and was doing the cake for free? Something just don't sound right to me.

I would get the money for the cake BEFORE I started baking. Just my 2 cents icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 12:00pm
post #10 of 12

I agree, definitely get payment in full like TODAY!! You're already towards the 2 week before the wedding mark!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 12:58pm
post #11 of 12

I won't go into details - I have personally been on the other side of one of these stories though. I agree with the above, if you are going to take this client, get your money IN CASH - NOW. Good luck!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:23pm
post #12 of 12

I'd be cautious myself. As you said there are different sides to the story. Maybe this woman didn't pay the last payment and the orginal caker had reason to cancel the order.

As other stated, get the payment in full, now before you lift a finger and if you have a contract, get it signed as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%