Marshmallow Fondant Rolled On A Sheet?

Decorating By Bella214 Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 3:15am by Texas_Rose

Bella214 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 4

My husband suggested that i roll my fondant out on a flat sheet on the table.

I have trouble because it ALWAYS sticks no matter how much corn starch I use.

What do you think of this idea? I thought it would leave imprints but he says that I can flip that side onto the cake.

Oh and don't worry.....I would BUY a flat sheet lol.....I def wouldn't use one we use...EEWWW!

3 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 4

It sticks to clothes so I assume it would stick to sheets too. You'd probably want to make sure it was a high thread count so it was less likely to drop lint on the fondant, but even then I'm not sure.

Have you tried a piece of vinyl from the craft store? It works great and it's cheap, $2 or $3 a yard. You still have to lightly dust it with cornstarch but it works better than even the silicone mats I have.

sheilabelle Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 4

Texas_rose - Do you use cornstarch on the vinyl or shortening? I had heard that you can use shortening and it will keep your fondant from drying out. I tried it and the fondant still stuck a little.

Texas_Rose Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:15am
post #4 of 4

I use corn starch as long as I have a good batch of fondant. If my fondant is too soft or stretchy then I use crisco, because I don't need to flip the fondant and dust again the way I do with cornstarch. The nice thing about the vinyl is if you have a piece of fondant that's giving you fits, you can flip it over the cake instead of trying to lift the whole thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%