Tiny Roses Piped In Ri

Baking By HeidiCrumbs Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 6:03pm by HeidiCrumbs

HeidiCrumbs Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 12

Hi!

I have an order for an American Girl tea party and they requested a tiny cookie, the size of a .50c piece, flooded with springy colors and a small rose piped in the middle.

I am panicing! I made some BC roses in my Wilton cake decorating class, which I failed at miserably. I can do just about anything in RI on a cookie, but it's always just using a piping bag and lines, not 3D type stuff, if that makes sense.

Can someone help me? What tips would I need? I'm assuming one for the rose petals and one for the leafs?

Also, I was just thinking I won't be able to stack them like I usually do in plastic bakery boxes. Would you package each one individually? Sounds really putsy.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

11 replies
KHalstead Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 12

can you do one out of fondant?? they have little rose push molds you know, makes a 3-d looking rose out of fondant, all you do is push a bit of fondant in and pull out a rose!

dahir Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 12

I have piped roses out of RI on a toothpick. Use a tip 101

nwnest Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 12

How about if you think "ribbon roses," the ones that are coiled, instead of ones with individual petals? You can do this in RI with a round tip, just pipe a little spiral and add leaves. Or you can use fondant, just make ribbons about the width of a fettuccini noodle and roll a small piece of them (probably less than an inch) then you can stick it on with RI leaves.

luv2bake6 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 12

Can you use ready made RI decorations or sugar dec-ons? They have small roses.

sweetcakes Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 12

you could use tip 14 and do small rosettes, they would look like a little rose.

KHalstead Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 10:00pm
post #7 of 12

oh yeah I didn't even think about it.........they sell little royal icing roses already made! Depending on how many cookies they ordered and how much you're charging, it may be worth your while!!

http://www.cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?p_catid=177

This is for 120 of them for a little over $16

luv2bake6 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 10:04pm
post #8 of 12

Yup, easy decorating and fast!

tammytaylor Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 10:10pm
post #9 of 12

You sure can. I ordered small RI roses from Global Sugar Art, think it was 50 of them for around $10.

HeidiCrumbs Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:30pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you so much for the replies!!

As for the tip 14, what size tip would I need for tiny little leaves to go with the size of the rose?

I am only charging .75c per cookie (5 dozen) so I don't want to order anything special as I didn't build that into the price I quoted them. And they're due the 19th and I usually like more of a buffer when ordering mail things for a specific order.

Oh, and I thought the fondant idea was great with the ribbon roses, so I opened my little bucket of Satin Ice and it was as hard as a rock! Into the trash it went, and I was actually excited about doing those ribbon roses like someone suggested!

Thanks again for all of your help, I love this board!!

KHalstead Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 5:43pm
post #11 of 12

um, you know you can microwave your fondant for a few seconds and reknead it with some shortening and get it back to a pliable consistency?

HeidiCrumbs Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:03pm
post #12 of 12

I didn't know that! I have actually never used it before, just bought it on a whim almost a year ago and for some reason I thought it stayed fresh forever! Lol! Going to dig it out of the garbage now........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%