Acetate....is There A Food Grade Available?

Decorating By KarenOR Updated 8 Jun 2010 , 12:25pm by Rosey1120

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 9

I was thinking about using acetate instead of parchment to do chocolate transfers. With so many details, I thought it would be easier to see.
Anyway, it seemed easy to find, but it wasn't. I'm assuming that you can't just use overhead projector sheets. They stink, I'm sure they must be treated with some kind of chemical, no?

Where does one buy acetate sheets? Are there any chain stores that sell them? We only have one cake decorating shop and they don't have them.

Will anything else work?

Thanks.

P.S. Since I don't do this for a business or anything, I really don't want to buy $50 work of acetate. A few sheets is more like what I was thinking.... and I'd love them sooner rather than later. TOo much to ask?

8 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 9

I just went to google and seached "food grade acetate sheets" and it pulled up several cake supply websites. I bought some one year at a ICES Convention but I can't remember how many I bought. The ones I got were large sheets though.

When doing color flow pieces I have used plastic page protectors. They don't have a smell to them and the color flow/royal icing comes off it easily. I can't see why they wouldn't work for the chocolate transfers too.

KarenOR Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks. I did the same search and couldn't find anything in less than 50 or 100,, which I don't need. Sheet protectors might work. It's for 2 year olds, so I don't want to risk any plastic leaching.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 9

Chef Rubber sells food grade ones. Check them out, they have an online website.

KarenOR Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 9

Yep, Chef Rubber has them and some other COOL stuff, BUT only in packs of 50 or 100!

Does anyone here want to just sell me a few sheets? LOL!

KarenOR Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:13am
post #6 of 9

I spent much of the afternoon looking for clear acetate sheets. I'm not sure WHY it's so hard.
1. I found packs of 50 or 100.
2. I found a few singles with shipping at $9! That's too much for me for a sheet of acetate.
3. I know a lot of people use overhead sheets, but given the smell, I just can't do it. I can't use them andthen feed the chocolate to a group of toddlers.

So, what else can I use? Cellophane? Vinyl? Where do I get the in food grade?

Thanks!

KarenOR Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 9

Anyone have any ideas about what else to use?

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 9

I bought some of the acetate sheets or strips used for around cheesecakes at an bakery auction. They are 3 and probably 5 inches wide. I use them for small transfers. I have two boxes. If you would like to have some of these I will ship them to you.

Rosey1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosey1120 Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 12:25pm
post #9 of 9

What about the plastic flexible cutting/chopping mats? I recently purchased packages of 2 for $1.00 each at a flea market. They are 12" x 15". They are made for food and you can cut them to whatever size you want. I'm thinking of using them between my cake and gift wrapped boards to keep the cake from sitting on the gift wrap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%