Edible Images - Not Using A Full Sheet

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 13 Mar 2010 , 3:54am by icingimages

sheilabelle Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 17

Is it possible to use the sheet again after it has been run through the printer. Example - if I have a small image to print that doesn't take up the whole sheet, am I out the whole frosting sheet after it goes through the printer. I don't want to waste money so your advice is greatly appreciated. TIA

16 replies
live2create Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 17

If I have a half sheet left I will take and tape my frosting sheet to copy paper so it makes a full sheet to run through my printer. I do this all the time I hate wasting those things. Try it, it will work just fine. Good luck

sheilabelle Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 17

Thanks. Have you ever had a problem with the sheet drying out while printing the original image. I just talked to icing images and they said the sheet might dry out and break off in the printer. I am interested in purchasing a Canon IP3600 and trying to get all of my info together before I make the purchase. I would like to purchase as soon as possible due to the fact that I have quite a few cakes coming up that I can use the printer for.

live2create Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 17

I have that printer, infact I just got it, my old one broke icon_mad.gif I am always very careful about my frosting sheets, they go back in the bag right away and I make sure to press all of the air out of the bag when I seal the bag back up. I have not had a problem with the scrape sheets I run through my printer, just make sure you have taped the frosting sheet down well to the copy paper. Hope this helps.

LisaR64 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 17

I often cut a sheet in half (or less) and use it in the printer. As long as you have a straight edge, the printer doesn't really care how long or short the sheet is, at least mine doesn't and I have a Cannon IP3600.

sheilabelle Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 11:09pm
post #6 of 17

live2create - Would you share where you purchased your system from? I am considering buying the printer seperate and the inks and paper from icing images. I was told the only problem with this is that the printer waranty will be voided once I use the edible inks. If I purchase the entire system from icing images the waranty will still stand. Also there is the same system from icing images on ebay for about $100 less.

kello Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 17

I have that printer as well....I love it. My husband purchased it online for $60. I'm not worried about the warranty as the printer was only $60. I purchased the ink from photo frost.
As for the sheets, I have used half sheets without a problem. I also make sure they are sealed well and take the air out.

icingimages Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:03am
post #8 of 17

Hi: I heard your call come in today and you talked to one of my newer employees. I apologize, but you can definately reuse the icing sheets. The printe does like the straight edge when rerunning it through. You can actually take a straight edge and cut out the part you want to use once it is printed, and store the rest of the icing sheet in a air tight bag for later use. With our new premium sheets you should have no problem with breakage.

As for the purchase of your printer. You have three choices. Purchasing from a company gives you peace of mind if something goes wrong...depending on the company you purchase it from. The ebay printers are a less expensive way to go, but are not warrantied through anyone but the manufacturer. Finally, you can purchase the printer through Amazon or elsewhere and it becomes an expendable product. Watch your pricing and check to see if you purchase all the parts seperately, is it equal to the ebay. It wont be equal to the price of purchasing it from a company as the warranty is built in that price as well.

Warranty we do have some strange things happen here and there with our customers. We will work with any one from any company over the phone to help get them out of any problems they might have. That is just what we do. But we stand behind our printers. Cant speak for other companies though.

Canon ip3600 printer all the way!!!!

sheilabelle Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 11:10am
post #9 of 17

Debbie - thanks for your reply. The company on ebay, they say that they are the only ones that handle your products on ebay. Would there be a warranty on the printer with them since they are distributing for you? I can't wait to get something decided and get it up and running. By the way, how long is the warranty good for?

icingimages Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 12:26pm
post #10 of 17

No warranty on ebay. That is why the price is so low. It is our products, it is guarenteed to work on delivery, but thats about it. There is not much that go wrong with these when you are using the edible inks, and we are always there to answer questions, no matter where you bought the printer.

live2create Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 2:45pm
post #11 of 17

Sheilabelle, I purchased my printer from PhotoFrost. I also purchase my frosting sheet from them. They are wonderful people to work with, I did look around at other sites but went with them because that was were I purchased my original printer. You will love it once you have it and it is up and working. Lori

sheilabelle Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:41pm
post #12 of 17

SOOOOOOOOO EXCITED. I just ordered my printer and all the goodies to go with it. Can't wait for it to get here!

live2create Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:05pm
post #13 of 17

Congrats. You will so enjoy your new toy.

icingimages Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 10:22pm
post #14 of 17

You will have a blast. Be sure to try the chocolate icing sheets as well. They create a really cool images!

Yomomma Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:47am
post #15 of 17

Has anyone ever had the frosting portion come off the backing sheet before it has been run through the printer? can this be re-adheared to the backing so i can still print onto it?

live2create Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:36pm
post #16 of 17

I would avoid the frustration and work around that area, you will have to deal with it once you try to lay the image down on the cake, and try to match the areas perfect so not to be able to see the broken peice on the image.

icingimages Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:54am
post #17 of 17

If this is happening, your icing sheets are drying out too quickly. To help to avoid this, place a damp piece of paper towel against the backing of the icing sheets for about 24-48 hours and sealed bag. Make sure that you are only taking the icing sheet out right before you print on it. Once it comes off the backing it is too hard to repair. You might want to try a little crisco as glue, but depending on the brand, it may not work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%