Ruby Slippers, Please Help!

Decorating By schnumvf Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 7:27pm by KHalstead

schnumvf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnumvf Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a Wizard Of Oz cake and wanted to make ruby slippers for the top. I molded some out of rice krispie treats but they crumbled when I tried to cover them with royal icing. icon_sad.gif Can I skip the royal icing and go straight to the fondant? Will they just crumble again? Is there another way to get some cute ruby slippers? The cake is for Saturday, so ordering a mold isn't an option. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

4 replies
sherrywarf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrywarf Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 5

Hi,
No I don't think you would want to cover the rice krispie's with straight fondant. Every time I have tried it, The "bumps" of the krispie's comes through. Not very flattering thumbsdown.gif . But there is a great tutorial on here on how to make a gumpaste shoe and it uses a paper template that you make (also pictured for printing on here). I have used this particular pattern and tutorial and the shoes turned out wonderful. Good Luck and happy caking!

http://cakecentral.com/articles/124/how-to-make-a-gumpaste-shoe

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 5

If you are set on the RKT - you can cover them twice with the fondant to helpmake them look smoother.

I personally make them with gumpaste, but time is not on your side for that option.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 5

You may need to mash the RKT together tighter. The first time I made anything with RKT was making the feet for a baby rump cake. I mashed the heck out of the RKT until it was packed very tight and might have broken a tooth if someone had tried to eat it! The feet held together well and I covered them with BC and then fondant. I think next time I'll try the RI to make them a bit smoother.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 5

try painted them with melted candy melts/chocolate until you get a smooth coat and then cover in fondant

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%