Freezing/thawing (Long)

Decorating By MammaOf10 Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 6:46pm by malene541

MammaOf10 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 2

Hello! I've searched the forum and can't find my answer, so here goes. I have a wedding cake to do on March 20. It is a family member and is 8 hours from home. I plan on baking and freezing the cakes this weekend (March 12-13). We will be leaving for the trip on Tuesday, March 16th. I'm concerned about the cakes thawing on the trip. My plan is to transport them in an ice chest with ice packs (not ice obviously) to help with the sweating issue. I'm assuming that they will still begin to thaw and I won't be decorating until Friday. Any suggestions on the best way to manage this? If they thaw, will it be better to refreeze them or just leave them to finish thawing? It seems like a long time to leave it unfrozen (Tues-Sat). Also, should I level and slice before or after I freeze? Thank you so much for your help.

1 reply
malene541 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 2

I'm really not sure about the refreeze part but I worked with dry ice for about 10 years and that's an option?? You can buy it from our local grocery store. Make sure you have a styrophone cooler and DON'T let the cakes touch it AT ALL!!!!! You would wrap the dry ice with newspaper then put a piece of foam between that and your cakes. The better the cooler seals the longer it will last. Remember that you can't touch the dry ice (at least not longer than a couple seconds) without leather gloves on but you would for surely have frozen cakes when you got there. (We had to package medical samples to be flown to other labs which took overnight to do) Let me know if you want more information on dry ice!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%