Anyone In The Huntington Beach/newport Beach Ca Area??

Lounge By Auryn Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 8:31pm by tavyheather

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 5

Hi
I was wondering if anyone here is from the Newport Beach/Huntington beach area in California??

I will be in Newport in April for the boat show and had a couple of questions for anyone local who would be willing to impart some knowledge.
I have traveled a lot but have never been to the west coast.

Here are my questions
- If I get a hotel in Huntington beach- how long will it take me to get to Newport Beach? (I know Cali traffic is supposed to be crazy)

-I will be driving myself around- any tips??

-Are there any activities/sightseeing you reccomend?? I will be working the boat show most of the day but I do get two half days- before and after-and Id love to make them count.
Thanks in Advance

4 replies
davespeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
davespeg Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 5

Drive down to Laguna Beach and/or Dana Point. Both have lots of cute shops and art galleries.

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:43am
post #3 of 5

Am in Newport Coast (the south end of Newport Beach) all the time for family!

Not sure exactly how long it'll take u but both are on the 101 and traffic is not as crazy as the media makes it (unless you're in LA..). Beach traffic is just slow b/c of all the lights, just avoid rush hour and weekends.

Agreed, Laguna is fantastic, adorable and ritzy little beach town. Check out the Sawdust Festival if it's on during that time, it's just up from downtown Laguna.

Great shopping if you're a mall person...Fashion Island and Irvine Spectrum is where everyone goes...

My best recommendation...this is from an insider and not everyone knows about it: http://www.crystalcovestatepark.com/
Little community of restored 1920's cottages ON the beach in a hidden beach below the 101 in Newport Coast. We had our wedding rehearsal dinner in one and stayed our first night there...and got married in the houses just above the 101...
It's amazing and eerie..costs a few bucks to take the bus down there and you have to park above. Def worth it to see and have lunch down there.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks guys
s.

I found what looks to be a great little mom and pop inn basically on the beach in Newport - about 1 mile to the show.

How is the public transportation??
I'm thinking that since the hotel is only about 4 miles from John Wayne airport and I can walk to the boat show- I would only want a car to do some sight seeing. But I love good public transportation.
Any good quirky shopping to do in the area??
i would much rather not have to drive if I don't have to and I am ok with walking a mile each way.

How far is Laguna Beach??
The dates that I am expecting to be there are April 14th to the 19th.

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 5

HA! public transportation in So Cal is unfortunately a joke. Here's a link for the buses that run in that area: http://www.octa.net/ Pretty sure the train doesn't stop in that area but the link for that is: http://www.metrolinktrains.com/

As for quirky any downtown beach town, incl. Huntington and Newport will have quirky stuff. It's Cali..all our stuff is quirky icon_wink.gif I mentioned the Sawdust fest b4 but I'm not sure if that's on when you'll be there.

I'll let u know if I think of anything else, but I don't really know any more specifics...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%