Bright Cookie Colors

Baking By Redsoxbaker Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 11:20am by bonniebakes

Redsoxbaker Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 15

What food coloring does everyone use to get those BRIGHT colors that everyone uses in their glazes or RI? I can never find anything that bright. icon_sad.gif

14 replies
aggiechef Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 15

I prefer Americolor. I've found that they give a truer and brighter color than the Wilton colors (which is the only other one I've ever used). If you're looking for neon colors, then make sure to try the electric colors. Those are good for lime green and hot pink.

Redsoxbaker Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 15

aggiechef,
Neon is exactly what I'm looking for. I don't think Wilton carries them. At least I've never seen them!

aggiechef Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 15

Americolor makes electric green, blue, purple, orange, yellow and pink. It doesn't take a whole lot of the color to get something bright.

If you check out the zebra cake in my pics with the green bow and flowers on it, those were made with the electric green.

TracyLH Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 15

I use Americolor for my bright colors and mix them a day or two in advance to let the colors deepen and get richer. As mentioned, their electric colors are fantastic! thumbs_up.gif

cookie_me Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 15

I just made some black using americolor and is not black enough . How much color can i put in before the icing goes wierd?

cookiemama2 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 15

You can buy neon in the grocery store.
Club House makes them.
Just the cheapy little squirt bottle kind.

luv2bake6 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 15

I use Gemini's idea for black. When i finish a 'project', i combine all my colored icing in one container and then add the black gel color to make black icing. You don't need to use as much that way. Some people here also add cocoa to their icing, where you also don't need to add a lot of black.

drakegore Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:30pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

I use Americolor for my bright colors and mix them a day or two in advance to let the colors deepen and get richer. As mentioned, their electric colors are fantastic! thumbs_up.gif

ditto what tracy says and i too love the americolor electrics!
for red, americolor super red is fantastic, but again, like tracy says, do in advance.

anymore, i only use wilton when i don't have the right americolor on hand.

diane

bonniebakes Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 8:11pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie_me

I just made some black using americolor and is not black enough . How much color can i put in before the icing goes wierd?

When I need black, I start with brown - not through coloring, but form adding a "slurry" of cocoa powder and water. Then, after I have a brown base, I add Americolor black until it's a dark gray. Then I let it set overnight - the color will deepen to black.

monet1895 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 15

cookie_me...have you let the black rest? Like others indicated, the black should deepen after a little while. I love the Americolor black.

TracyLH Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 9:54pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

When I need black, I start with brown - not through coloring, but form adding a "slurry" of cocoa powder and water. Then, after I have a brown base, I add Americolor black until it's a dark gray. Then I let it set overnight - the color will deepen to black.

Bingo on what Bonnie says! This is exactly what I do. Once SweetDreamsAT told me about it, I never looked back. thumbs_up.gif

To help out with your reds, start with pink icing. Then add red and let set a day or two. It will indeed deepen and by adding less of the actual red, bleeding is less likely to occur.

monet1895 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:01am
post #13 of 15

great tip on the red and black...thx!

cookie_me Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:08am
post #14 of 15

Cocoa as in chocolate ? do the black will taste like chocolate right?

bonniebakes Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:20am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie_me

Cocoa as in chocolate ? do the black will taste like chocolate right?

yes, it has a nice chocolaty taste... yum!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%