Help With Wilton Red Lips Cake

Decorating By CAKE_NEWBIE Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 2:25pm by JGMB

CAKE_NEWBIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKE_NEWBIE Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 3

hey guys,

i am going to be making a cake using the wiltons red lip pan and I have a few questions. the cake I am making will have buttercream and strawberries as the filling should I just bake one layer and slice the cake down the middle and fill or should I bake 2 cakes and stack them? if I stack 2 cakes will it be too high and make the lips look too thick? I am going to cover the cake in red fondant and I want to put some red disco dust on the lips to make it look lke sparkle red lipstick (like wizard of oz ruby slippers type of effect) what would be the best way to do this? I was thinking of taking a small spray bottle of vodka and spraying the cake then covering in disco dust. this is the 1st time I will be using disco dust so Im not too sure what the best technique is.

any help/tips would be greatly appreciated. thanks icon_lol.gif

2 replies
tmgarcia_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmgarcia_98 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 3

I have never used disco dust before....but I recently made a car with a metallic sparkly paint-job. I used Wilton pearl-dust. I spray a small amount of Pam cooking spray in a small dish and mix in the pearl dust. I then apply with a paint brush. This may work with disco dust also.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 3

I would cut the cake in half horizontally, then fill it and cover it in fondant. I, too, think that 2 cakes stacked would be way too tall for lips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%