What Are Your Favorite Cakes To Make??

Baking By GARY Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 6:39pm by Chippi

GARY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GARY Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:24am
post #1 of 16

I've been experimenting with many cake recipes lately, but still haven't found the perfect one. I've made WASC(which is awesome), Mermaid Bakery's yellow cake, Cake Bible's butter cake, & Sylvia Weinstock's classic yellow. They are all good, but haven't quite found a favorite yet.
Does anyone have any other suggestions I might try??? Thanks-Gina

15 replies
nastassia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nastassia Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 16

I know I myself wanna know icon_sad.gif

The ones I've tried on here are WASC, lemon cake with rasberry filling, darn good chocolate cake w/ rasberry filling, pumpkin WASC, red velvet cupcakes...

I wanna try something different though...and I haven't had that one cake thats OMG lol although the favorite so far is the red velvet cupcakes

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 16

I like the durable 3-D cake receipe on this site. I use yellow cake mix and vanilla pudding....yummy!!

Manotas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manotas Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 16

I want to know too. My favorites one so far are the WASC, the pumpkin Spice WASC and las tres leches Cake (This one is always a hit, but it is hard to carve or decorate, I usually covered by Amazing Stabilized Whipping cream.

I will be watching this topic closely icon_smile.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 16

I just tried Magnolia Bakery banana cake, it was wonderful.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 16

icon_smile.gif My favorite cake? The one I'm getting PAID to make! icon_smile.gif

cammyblake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cammyblake1 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 16

Anything with fresh gourment ingredients, no doctoring, and what makes me a ton of money.

nastassia Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:07pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammyblake1

Anything with fresh gourment ingredients, no doctoring, and what makes me a ton of money.

ok so may I ask what makes a ton of money? icon_smile.gif

lol I just wanna try a new, favorite, cake recipe, thats different. I get overwhelmed when I look thru the recipes section icon_sad.gif

I was kinda curious about trying the mango cake, or mango filling I heard about? anyone try it? if so can u post the recipe? icon_smile.gif

cammyblake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cammyblake1 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:28pm
post #9 of 16

There are probably a thousand recipes out there that use mango as a base, in puree form, powdered mango flavor, concentrated paste and extracts. The best thing you can do is search for recipes, try them out and come up with your own opinion of what is good and not. And don't limit yourself to the recipes in here. I tend to try recipes from established pastry chefs and bakers around the world.

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:33pm
post #10 of 16

I think whoever came up with WASC was brilliant!

I've tried a couple variations and I don't have a favorite yet. I guess I get the most excited when someone else really likes my cake. I'm a corporate accountant by day and it's a bit of a thankless job - have you thanked your accountant today? I get requests for strawberry cake with strawberry filling all the time. I make a strawberry WASC cake starting with a strawberry mix, then I put Wilton's strawberry cream filling between the layers. Personally, I like the strawberry filling with white cake, but everyone else loves the strawberry on strawberry combination.

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:45pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

icon_smile.gif My favorite cake? The one I'm getting PAID to make! icon_smile.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:53pm
post #12 of 16

Yummy Carrot Cake from a cake mix (on this site) is the most popular one I make. People seem to adore carrot cake (I, myself, prefer chocolate), and everyone raves about this one. I frost with a cream cheese frosting (often use the decorator's cream cheese frosting on here, as well).

nastassia Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:54pm
post #13 of 16

ok but if everyone had to narrow it down to ONE cake... what is your absolute favorite? your own personal choices....b/c clients prob don't know all the variations of cake, so they tend to stick with the basics?

so everyone's one personal favorite..

and I haven't tried all the many cakes myself, which is why I'm asking :0/

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:15pm
post #14 of 16

I have several... I actually go through some recipe sites like Epicurious...or watching cooking shows and when they make some desserts and looked interesting I try them out. One that I can't seem to forget is Jacques Pepin's almond cake of which I accidentally paired it with an CIA frosting of white chocolate cream cheese...and it is to die for. I happen to like pecan pie and wondered if there was a recipe of a cake out there and googled it...and it is one of my faves too. I don't know I guess, if you happen to come across a recipe that makes you want it...then go for it...it might come out one of your favorite cakes.

bakermom3107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermom3107 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:34pm
post #15 of 16

One of my personal favs is lemon cake. I just add lemon sleeve filling to white box mix and everybody LOVES it. I know it's really simple, but it is so popular!

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:39pm
post #16 of 16

Okay my most fav. cake is:

1. WASC w/ strawberry filling
2. Choc. fudge w/ ganache
3. Italian Cream Cake

There are a lot of cakes I haven't made before. My family loves Strawberry w/ choc. ganache filing. Its the one with the choc. cov. strawberrys and shards on top.

I am going to try a new filing called Passion fruit filing. Going to use it in a Hawaiin wedding cake. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%