Gold Paint Not Drying On Fondant Cake - Humidity

Decorating By thefruitcake Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 12:26pm by Loucinda

thefruitcake Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:01am
post #1 of 14

I live in Brisbane, Australia and during the last four weeks we have had the most rain in 60 years! I had to do an engagement cake with extensive gold and silver work. The silver was almost dry because the work involving the silver was minimal in comparison to the gold work. The gold paint was a disaster; the paint did not dry despite keeping the cake under a fan and rotating it periodically. I would have loved to apply a second coat of gold paint, but the result was blotchy that I refrained from tampering with it further. Any suggestions? By the way, my client was not happy with the engagement cake and as she paid no deposit, I gave her the option of not taking it.

13 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:15am
post #2 of 14

If you have central air conditioning, sometimes it helps to run it when you're working with fondant during rainy weather because it takes some of the humidity out of the air.

TexasSugar Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 14

What did you use to make the paint?

Jemoiselle Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 14

Ohhh, this breaks my heart! You poor, poor thing =( Is it something you could have airbrushed on to avoid the texture/painting issue? I am moving in the summer to one of the hottest places in the world, so I am really going to watch this thread for answers and preventative measures! I'm so used to decorating in the US, boring uneventful weather, I'm spoiled (for now!)

I'm so sorry you had to go through that!

Loucinda Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 14

I use a very high alcohol content liqour to mix my gold or silver (over 100 proof - ever clear) It dries very quickly - the humidity doens't affect it hardly at all.

thefruitcake Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 5:37am
post #6 of 14

Dear Texas Sugar - I used vodka to dilute the gold dust (powder) that is sold in our local cake supplies shop.

Texas_Rose Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:05am
post #7 of 14

Vodka should have dried, but next time maybe a higher proof alcohol would keep it from happening. I know some people use Everclear which I think is 190 proof so it's nearly straight alcohol and would evaporate faster.

dguerrant Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 12:50pm
post #8 of 14

HERE IN ARKANSAS, WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH HUMIDITY ON A REGULAR BASIS AS WELL. I HAVE FOUND THAT USING PGA TO MIX MY LUSTER DUST IN HAS SOLVED THAT PROBLEM FOR ME. I USE IT TO PAINT ON AND IN MY AIRBRUSH, IT WORKS FABULOUS!!!!! ONCE I WAS OUT AND IT WAS LATE, NOTHING WAS OPEN, SO I USED CLEAR VANILLA EXTRACT, IT TOOK QUITE A BIT LONGER TO DRY THOUGH. GOOD LUCK ON THE NEXT ONE icon_smile.gif

dguerrant Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 12:51pm
post #9 of 14

I SHOULD HAVE EXPLAINED PGA (PURE GRAIN ALCOHOL).

Loucinda Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 14

PGA = everclear! icon_smile.gif (never heard it called PGA - thanks for explaining it!)

TexasSugar Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:15pm
post #11 of 14

I'm an everclear girl myself. Some days you have to add more everclear to your dust before you even finish painting. icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 6:42pm
post #12 of 14

Yes, I do too TexasSugar - the container will dry so quickly! I have my everclear in a container with an eye dropper so I can quickly add just a little bit if needed.

thefruitcake Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 3:51am
post #13 of 14

Thank you girls. You are all so kind to me. I am off to the shop now to pick up some PGA. Thanks a ton Sharlene

Loucinda Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 12:26pm
post #14 of 14

You're welcome! Once you have tried using that, you won't ever use anything else. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%