Black Icing

Decorating By Winnie Updated 26 Feb 2005 , 2:14am by GHOST_USER_NAME

Winnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Winnie Posted 21 Feb 2005 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 11

How do you make black icing that is not bitter?

10 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Feb 2005 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 11

You can start with dark chocolate buttercream and go from there but you will still need alot of color especially if you are using wilton pastes,to get a deep true black.I keep a tube of wiltons ready made icing on hand for eyes etc...The amount of black I use is minimal but if I get a cake order that has alot of black I make my own.You could also try Chefmaster or Americolor gel pastes that come in a pop top little squeezable bottle...I hear the gels darken the colors like red,blue and black really well.I just bought Americolor Red and black for that same reason.I can't wait to try them!!!

P.S. Americolor,Chefmaster available at Sugarcraft.com and Countrykitchensa.com

Godiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godiva Posted 22 Feb 2005 , 12:00am
post #3 of 11

Well, I've never made BTC, only black fondant, but basically if you mix the three primary colors, one at a time, you'll make it to black...You may use two different but similar primaries also...ie ..lemon yellow and egg yellow...

trisha1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trisha1972 Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 3:05am
post #4 of 11

Start with dark chocolate bc. Then add gel color. Let it sit in an airtight bowl overnight, and it will darken more.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 23 Feb 2005 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 11

if you want, you can use bc and store bought chocolate frosting. when i do that i don't have to add as much black. after it sits overnight you should see a big difference in the color. icon_smile.gif

Amy28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy28 Posted 24 Feb 2005 , 3:21am
post #6 of 11

I pretty much gave up on getting a good black or a good red...so I buy the Wilton tubes for those 2 colours. They're never used in large quantities anyways.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 24 Feb 2005 , 4:29am
post #7 of 11

Thanks to Cali4dawn's frozen buttercream tutorial, a few months ago I started using store-brand fudge icing and it just takes a little Wilton black coloring. It works great!

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 24 Feb 2005 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 11

STAY AWAY FROM WILTON COLORING- ESPECIALLY BLACK AND RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try ChefMaster or Americolor. I start out with WHITE icing, I add 1-2 drop per cup of icing and I have a deep black or red.

For BCTs, it's best to use fudge icing (at least in my opinion) for the lines... so southerncake's suggestion was a very good one. I've done that, too.

stuttgartkim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stuttgartkim Posted 25 Feb 2005 , 8:30pm
post #9 of 11

Calli4dawn, why are you so ADAMANT about not using Wilton Black or red? They're not the best I've used, but they are effective and readily available.

- Kim

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 Feb 2005 , 9:00pm
post #10 of 11

you wouldn't need to purchase that stuff if you just start out with store bought chocolate frosting and add a little black to it. i've tried that wilton frosting, so generic, i think. i guess it depends personal taste.

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 26 Feb 2005 , 2:14am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuttgartkim

Calli4dawn, why are you so ADAMANT about not using Wilton Black or red? They're not the best I've used, but they are effective and readily available.

- Kim

LOL! What makes you think I'm adamant????? icon_cool.gif

Seriously......

Because they are not cost effective and not effective in keeping the integrity of the icing. If you have to use a whole jar or most of a jar to color a small amount of icing, that changes the stiffness of the icing and then the taste. Both are not good situations to deal with.

Other brands are readily available if you go to any cake supply store (my cake supply store doesn't even carry Wilton dyes) or purchase on-line. Wilton has some decent products, but not for coloring. I use very little Wilton Brand coloring. In fact, all I have left is what I purchased before I discovered other/better options.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%