How Do I Dye Mm Fondant?

Decorating By brianthecakeguy Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 6:13am by Texas_Rose

brianthecakeguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brianthecakeguy Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:05am
post #1 of 5

I have been making my own marshmallow fondant, and it works great. My problem is that I cant deal with the pain in my hands from kneading it so much. Is there a way to add color at the melting stage and just mix it in? I make fondant a few times a week, and its getting old by hand. THANKS!

4 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:11am
post #2 of 5

Mix in the color to the melted marshmellows before adding the sugar. You can make it in your KA mixer too if you have one, just use the dough hook.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:35am
post #3 of 5

If you need several colors from a single batch, the easiest time to knead color in is when it's freshly made and still really soft. You can also warm it in the microwave a few seconds to make it more pliable.

brianthecakeguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brianthecakeguy Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:48am
post #4 of 5

Thank you both very much! One more silly question... Do you use powdered sugar or corn starch on your hands to keep it from sticking? I have been using powdered sugar and it sometimes makes more of a mess than anything! Loucinda, does a KA mixer really work okay with fondant? I have a dough hook and a 500watt mixer, I was just scared to wreck either or both of them with fondant!!!!!!!!!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:13am
post #5 of 5

I use crisco on my hands when coloring MMF, cornstarch on my work surfaces when rolling it out.

I make my MMF with the KA and it has survived me doing that for two years already. Just use the dough hook the same way you would for bread, don't turn the mixer speed up above 2 when you're using the dough hook and stay right by the machine to keep an eye on it. Also, grease the bowl really well and put the melted marshmallows in first and the powdered sugar on top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%