Need Ideas For Transporting.

Decorating By KaddyGal Updated 11 Mar 2010 , 1:50am by joy5678

KaddyGal Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:15am
post #1 of 12

Ok all you amazing cakers...I have several large cakes coming up, my first wedding cake being one of them. What are your recommendations on transporting it? I wish they made massive cake carriers!! Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance for your help and expertise! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

11 replies
Renaejrk Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:52am
post #2 of 12

My husband took a big piece of plywood and put metal handles on it so it would be easier to carry. Also, if you use a center dowel you don't have to worry about your cake going anywhere, lol!

ZoesMum Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 12

They do make massive cake carriers, but they are massively expensive!! Check out http://www.cakesafe.com/ wish I made enough cakes to warrent something like this! Anyways, I second the center dowel...with this and proper support for each layer and a non-skid surface under the cake in the car you should be fine. Corner carefully and avoid speedbumps icon_wink.gif

KHalstead Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 12

I have a cake safe (cuz I'm blessed and won it!) and it is massive....I have the small/tall box and it's huge! Not too heavy though, I can't wait to get a cake order that's over 2 tiers high so I can use it (seems silly to use it on a 2 tiered cake lol)

ZoesMum Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 12

I am so jealous Khalstead! I hope you get to use it soon...let us know how it goes!!

BeanCountingBaker Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 12

This may seem like an amature tip to some, but I was really proud of myself for this idea, it was one of those lightbulb moments.

I have to travel on rural roads with my cakes, so I'm always worried about them sliding around on the carpet in the back of my SUV. When I need to take a cake somewhere I take a clean kitchen rug - the rubber backed non-slip kind - and spread it in the middle of the carpet turning up the edges so the rubber side is on the carpet and there's a strip of rubber on both edges showing. Then I set my cake boards on top so that both sides are on the rubber. The rubber backing keeps the rug in the center of the carpet and the cake board snug in the middle.

No cake disasters yet!

leah_s Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 12

1. put non-skid pat down over what ever surface the cake will be sitting on. Non-skid mat is that shelf liner stuff that you can buy for $1 a roll at the Dollar Store. AMAZING stuff.

2. use SPS. It's easy, sturdy and cheap. Your cake will not move.

3. that whole center dowel thing is completely false security. If your cake is really going sideways the center dowel will stay firmly implanted in the bottom board as it tears through your cake. There has been plenty stories about that very scenario. See #2.

4. BakeryCrafts does make some large boxes that are not *crazy* expensive for holding cakes. I've been thinking about buying a few.

5. I don't box to transport. It's the way I was taught to do it in culinary school and it works fine.

metria Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 12

I bought several ~$5 large plastic bins from Walmart. You want something wide enough that can fit your cake drum or whatever you have for a base (e.g. 14" cake drum for a 12" bottom tier). Also make sure the bottom is very flat (some have ridges for more support). Put a sheet of non-skid material at the bottom of the bin, then put your cake in it. Your cake may be too tall to snap the lid on. I find it easy to transport, and when I don't need them, then I can store other stuff in it. Very cheap and reusable. It helps me know that if I put the cake in the trunk, anything rolling around back there won't actually touch the cake.

edit: e.g. bins that have a capacity of 58 quarts and up

tootie0809 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 6:07pm
post #9 of 12

If you are looking for a box big enough to transport a tiered cake, here's what I do and it works great for me. I buy a large shipping or moving box that is tall and wide enough to be able to hold whatever size cake I'm transporting. Then I tape it together, as if I was going to put things in it and tape the top shut as well. Then I use an exacto knife and cut the 2 side panels at the front of the box so it opens and I can slide the cake in instead of dropping the cake in (front load washer versus top load washer kind of thing). I make sure to put a piece of non-slip liner on the bottom, slide the cake in, then close the front flap up and tape it securely. Then when I get to the event, I jsut cut the tape off the front flap and can easily slide the cake out. I have several different sizes I keep on hand for deliveries.

I also agree with Leah that SPS is awesome!!!

joy5678 Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 10:56pm
post #10 of 12

SPS is the only way to go (as I have learned from Leah) and I also do my boxes the way tootie does and it works great. I would never think of putting a tiered cake down into a box & then lifting it up, YIKES! Sliding it out from the side is way easier and safer for me.

KaddyGal Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 11:36pm
post #11 of 12

Awesome!
Thank you all so much for the input. Great ideas. Can't wait to try. icon_biggrin.gif

joy5678 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 1:50am
post #12 of 12

Good Luck KaddyGal and if you can tell me how NOT to get nervous while delivering then we'll have it made! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%