How Can I Transfer A Pattern Onto Fondant?

Decorating By LilyBlossom Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 11:21pm by LilyBlossom

LilyBlossom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilyBlossom Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:05am
post #1 of 10

I have been asked by both of my twin sisters if I could make them a cake. They saw a cake online and absolutely fell in love with it. They want leopard print on their cake but I am new at making cakes and I strongly believe that I can do this for them, but I am not sure how I could transfer or make a leopard print stencil for the cake..any suggestions?
LL

9 replies
Buttacream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttacream Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:14am
post #2 of 10

This looks like it was painted on. But I am no expert yet!!

sugarinspired Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarinspired Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:42am
post #3 of 10

im no expert either but what you can do is roll out a the cream color fondant first until its gets to almost the size to cover the caket start putting the strips or small round fondants on the area you desire until you get the design you like and roll it out until it blends with the bottom fondant hope this helps

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:57am
post #4 of 10

Do yourself a favor and don't worry about templates, stencils or transferring the design. Paint on brown splotches and then come back with black on the edges.

Here is one of my leopard pattern cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1423157.html

The bigger the print the faster you'll go. If you google pics of the actual animal print you'll see how random it is and that it is really made up of three to four larger blobs of black surrounding the brown. The black connects on the older animals and is more separate on the younger ones so you really have quite a bit of artistic license with this pattern.

Paint it. It's easy!

hth

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 5:00am
post #5 of 10

It really looks like it's painted on. Good luck with it!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 9:29am
post #6 of 10

Yes that is hand painted... Ijust recently did one similar to that. It's really easy, just make a messed up brown circle then go back around it with black! And it's a perfect lepoard spot!

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 9:50am
post #7 of 10

def. looks like its been painted on! good luck! =)

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:44pm
post #8 of 10

I'm the same way about looking for a template to use, but sometimes it is quicker and easier on yourself just to free hand.

Since you don't want the spots to be perfectly round, this would be a good pattern to just free hand.

If you need a visual, then you an google it and print out a few pictures to set beside you while you work.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:08pm
post #9 of 10

Definitely paint freehand as the others said. Once you get going you'll find it easier than you expected (and fun).

LilyBlossom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilyBlossom Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 11:21pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%