Whats The Best Way To Make Leaves For Palm Trees?

Decorating By zinger60 Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 7:42am by monet1895

zinger60 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 10

I am making a cake that is going to have palm trees in it. I am going to use large pretzel rods for the trunks but I'm not sure what to make the leaves out of. I tried cutting them out of fondant and letting them air dry until they are hard. They look terrific but they are falling apart when I move them. Anyone have any suggestions?

9 replies
Kandy4283 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 10

I used the leaf tip...not sure which one, but it all depends on how big your palms are going to be! I just piped them right on the cake! Or you can also try to cut them out of the fondant as you were saying, and just lay them right on the cake right away (before they dry) so they don't fall apart! Good luck!

monet1895 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 10

I did palm trees w/ a pretzel rod trunk (pic is here on cc). I think I added some gumpaste to the fondant. But even w/o the gumpaste I'm not sure why yours are falling apart. How thick/ thin were they?

Jeep_girl816 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:26am
post #4 of 10

50/50 gumpaste and fondant works great. You do have to be gentle with the leaves though they are fragile-ish but they look great. I attached mine with chocolate candy melts-sets up fast and hard, see my Madagascar cake, hope this helps! http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1593379

Texas_Rose Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:29am
post #5 of 10

If it's just straight fondant, it might need to air dry for a day or two before you can move them around without breaking.

If you're trying to make really large leaves, you might have better luck with gumpaste and using a thin wire down the center of each leaf.

madgeowens Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:51am
post #6 of 10

is there a template for cutting out palm leaves?

KathysCC Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 6:03am
post #7 of 10

I've made them a couple of times. For my swimming pool cake, I piped royal icing with a leaf tip over a small, wax paper covered bowl. I did 5 leaves and then stacked two of the five-leaf trees together. Those were rather fragile but they did make a one hour car trip with no problem. Here is that cake:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1215190

The second time, I used a gumpaste/fondant mix. I wouldn't recommend using straight fondant. The gumpaste adds some strength. I just cut them with a pizza cutter. I creased the center and cut a couple of random triangular cut outs on the sides. I glued 5 of them together and let them dry on the same very small bowl. I glued two sets of five together and that was my tree. Here is a photo of them.
LL

KathysCC Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 6:04am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

is there a template for cutting out palm leaves?

I've never seen one. I figured that since trees are sort of random, you could just cut them out any old way and no one will notice. icon_lol.gif

Jeep_girl816 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 6:07am
post #9 of 10

I just used the good old Wilton leaf cutter and made a center line and took out notches here and there, made each one a bit different.

monet1895 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 7:42am
post #10 of 10

Ditto to Jeepgirl...exactly what I did.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%