Serv Safe Certification

Lounge By dchockeyguy Updated 10 Mar 2010 , 3:57pm by dailey

dchockeyguy Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 5

Sorry if I got the name backwards... I always seem to.

Anyway, I've decided it's time to get certified officially so I can feel less stressed out about making cakes for people. Have people here taken the exam? Is it hard? I'm taking a class, then I'm allowed to take the exam itself, so I'm just curious about it.

4 replies
mkolmar Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 5

I took the text and have to re-cert next year since that's when my 5 years is up. I took the 30 hour class. Just pay attention in class, take notes and study and it's not that bad. A lot of it is just common sense when it comes to being safe with sanitation, first aid, what to do in an emergency stuff.
Make sure you know your food safe temps. There are a few questions on the test I took (they have multiple tests) that were "What is the most correct answer" kind of questions.

indydebi Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 5

When I took mine, I picked the books up prior to class (like a week or two); read the entire book, answers the end-of-chapter questions. Then class was one full day. Most of the day was lecture, just reviewing what you should already know by reading the book and answering the questions, then time allocated at the end of the day for the test.

I was done in about 20 minutes (but I'm a speed reader; I'm always the first one done with a test and when I came out, the instructor thought I had a question. SHould have seen his face when I told him I was done! icon_lol.gif )

Most of it is common sense. Most of it won't apply to a bakery operation but you have to learn it anyway (what killed me was learning all the Latin names for the horrible illnesses you can get by eating bad fish! icon_eek.gif )

OVerall, I found it to be pretty easy. But it's easy only if you do your homework and prep work.

MnSnow Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 4:06am
post #4 of 5

I did mine online and the test in person.

Pay CLOSE attention to the temps

dailey Posted 10 Mar 2010 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 5

i took the class. our instructor was good about telling us what she felt would be on the test so that helped a lot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%